how do I purge gas line? I installed new gas range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Handyman Miguel

Reaction score
Since the old range was electric, there was no gas line. I "T"d into the 1" supply line w/3/4". Ran 15' of blk pipe to where the stove is. I've got everything hooked up and ready to go, but now I've got to purge the line. I've got H2o heater, the stove, the furnace, and the dryer on this line. I know the next step...er...I think the next step is to purge the line but with all these appliances that are hooked up, HOW DO I DO IT?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas line

If you knew how to do the gas line correctly, you should know the answer to your question. One way is to turn on the stove while holding a match to the burner so the gas lights when it arrives.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mikey, he could turn on the stove and not light a match!

In all seriousness, though, nature is always striving for equilibrium. So, the second you open the gas valve, the gas will pour through the gas lines in the stove to try to equalize the pressure. If you have pilots, the air will purge itself in a few seconds and you will begin to smell raw gas. You should then light the pilots. If you have the old style stove that has no pilots, you will purge the gas from each burner separately when you turn the burner on and light it. If you have the newer stove with electric spark, you just have to hold the knob in the "light" position until the air is purged and the spark ignites the gas.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Miguel, the air in the new line will be expelled when you turn on the new appliance. Since gas is colorless, to tell when the gas has reached the appliance, you should open the burner and continue to attempt to ignite it. If you have a built-in ignitor, just keep trying it until it lights. If doesn't have an ignitor, then open the burner and hold a flame near the jet. I'd use my propane torch, but several matches will do. Gas is not under really high pressure, so it will take longer than if it was a water line. I would suggest you test your connections with liquid dishwashing soap to make certain your joints are all gas tight. Don't use flame to do this!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
purge

The other way is to disconnect the connector from the range and open the valve. Then listen for the sound of the escaping air to change pitch when the gas arrives, (you will also smell the gas). But this is for big gas lines by a professional.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks