How Do I Puill This Pitless Adaptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter100

Reaction score
The current pump is 230 volts with 1/2 HP. Attached below is a photo of a label found on the bottom of the pump.

I measured the voltage of the pump with a result of 215 volts, and heard the motor make a soft whirring sound for 5 seconds before the breaker tripped (I tested this several times and the results were consistent). Does this mean that the electric/wiring is fine but the pump/motor is broken and needs a replacement?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 431

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the date codes indicate October 1990.

It is not impossible that the pump is just gummed up, but it seems like it is time to replace it with another 1/2 HP pump. 10 GPM as Texas Wellman says, although an 8 or even 7 GPM would be OK also I think. The 8 in 8SP4C02P-42 might mean 8 GPM. My Sta-Rite pump for a deeper well was built September 2000, is model 7SP4D02JL-04, and it is 7 GPM, 13 stages, 2 wire, 220 volt 3/4 HP.

The harder part may be to locate a new O-ring for the pitless. Do use silicone grease or release compound when you put the new O-ring in. Your pitless may be similar to http://www.bakerwatersystems.com/pr...cts/pitless_adapters/weld_on_pitless_adapters I don't know if these have brand markings.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could call Sta Rite tomorrow and they can tell you what pump it is.

As for the O ring, try a NAPA auto parts store or your friendly neighborhood pump guy.

Don't put oil on anything that goes in your well.

Peter100

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

How about the WAYNE pump sold in Menards? It seems pretty decent to me.

Right now, I am having a hard time separating the old pump from the copper adapter (see attached photo). I applied lubrication oil and hammered on the wrench, but it doesn't work. Any idea how to get them lose? I know I can cut the pipe above the adapter and re-assemble with a new adapter. By doing that, the new pump will be half a foot higher than the original, but I think it should be okay.

I attached the photo of the O-ring. I still need to search for the same size of O-ring in the store.

Attachments

• pitless_adapter6.JPG
    pitless_adapter6.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 455
  • pump_adapter_connection.JPG
    pump_adapter_connection.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 450

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's not a copper adapter....its a brass check valve. Just unscrew the pipe from the checkvalve.

The O ring looks fine, but you can wipe a little Crisco on it before you put it back in.

Wayne pump? Never seen one, but I doubt it's any better or worse than what's sold in Home Depot. Don't expect another 25 yrs of service from it.

Peter100

Reaction score
I have found the pump and check valve to buy. But I still need to figure out how to disassemble the PVC pipe from the old check valve. The PVC pipe is screwed into the check valve. Is it possible to unscrew the PVC pipe from the old check valve then reuse it with the new valve?

Thanks for your input.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of course it's possible, turn the pipe counterclockwise to the check valve and it will come right out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks