How do I measure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Abuela

Reaction score
I'm trying to educate myself about toilets for an upcoming remodel. I see that they come in various "rough-in" distances. My bathroom was remodeled (though with cheap-apartment styling) in 1999, including completely new plumbing throughout the house, and I'll be replacing a very clog-prone American Standard toilet that was likely their cheapest contractor-grade toilet at the time.

My questions are, is it possible to measure this distance while the toilet is in place, and/or safe to presume that it's some standard distance (maybe 12"?)? And if I have to remove the toilet to measure, am I correct that it's measured from the wall to the center of the drain, or is it from wall to the start of the drain?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In general (there are a few execptions), you'd measure from the bolts holding the toilet down to the finished wall surface (go to the wall, not any baseboard unless it is very tall). In the USA, the vast majority of toilets are manufacturered to fit on a flange set at 12" to the finished wall.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Jim points out, most toilets have a 12" rough in. However, it is fairly common to find that a 12" toilet may only actually require 11-1/2" or 11-3/4". There are 10" and 14" rough in models as well, but choices of styles is greatly reduced with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks