How do I get this Moen handle knob off?

Users who are viewing this thread

YYZ

Reaction score
Hi there,

So this Moen shower faucet is probably circa 1997. I had to cut the handle off because the set screw was frozen and stripped. I took the center screw holding the handle knob (I think that's what they call it) to the cartridge. I can't seem to get the handle knob off. Is there a trick to this? Also, do you think this is replaceable and what brand it might be?

Thanks much for the help.

IMG_0708.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

YYZ

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I've actually have two showers with the same issue. I can't seem to pull off the "handle knob" no matter how much I yank on it.

YYZ

Reaction score
I still can't get the handle stop off. The design seems to be different than the standard handle stop. It seems like it's sort of attached to the cartridge or it's one piece? Do I need a puller or do I just use a channel lock to turn the whole thing so it comes loose? I don't want to force it.

IMG_0831.JPG

YYZ

Reaction score
I got it off. I had to pry off the limit stop ring and then I was able to get at the retaining clip. The handle knob is literally frozen to the cartridge.

IMG_0834.JPG

WeekendFixit

Reaction score
I think I have a similar problem, I simply can't get the friggin handle off from the front.
mine looks like this. Was it hard to pry off the Temp limit stop sleeve thing?
How did you go about it?

IMG_6409(1).jpg

H

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want to have a new trim and cartridge when "wrecking" it to get the parts out.
You might try hitting it with spray oil to see if you can get things to loosen.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would pull straight out and tap on it. When I say tap I mean best the shit out of it lol. If it doesn't want to come of nice then you gotta play hard. Moen not my favorite.

WeekendFixit

Reaction score
Well I have hard mineral water, and something tells me I probably have a situation similar to what pictured above when XYZ said "he got it off" . I'm still bewildered as to why I have no water coming out at all , eventhough my handle is out all the way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks