How do I Extend Existing Waste Pipe In Order to Attach Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Laxmidi

Reaction score
I'm renovating a bathroom and I need to extend the existing 4 in. (steel or cast? I'm not sure which) waste pipe in order to attach a PVC toilet flange. The lip of the existing pipe will be about 4-6 in. short of the finished floor height.

Should I use a compression donut and reduce the pipe size from 4 in. to 3 in.? Would this result in more clogs?

Or should I use a 4 in. x 4 in. Proflex shielded coupling? It looks like a neoprene sleeve with two clamps around it. The pipe lip is slightly jagged-- it's not cut perfectly square. Would it leak if it's not square? I would have to remove wood in order to get an angle grinder on top of the pipe, so that might be an issue.

Please note the jagged end of the pipe.

It sticks out of the concrete a little under 3 in.
Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Or should I use a 4 in. x 4 in. Proflex shielded coupling? It looks like a neoprene sleeve with two clamps around it. The pipe lip is slightly jagged-- it's not cut perfectly square. Would it leak if it's not square?
I think you are describing a vertical cast iron pipe, and I expect the jags that you describe do not increase the OD. So a shielded coupler as you described should work fine. https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings ... looks like Proflex # 3000-44 (4" CI, to 4" PL.) or Mission CP-44 would be what you want. "PL" means plastic i.e., PVC or ABS.
I would have to remove wood in order to get an angle grinder on top of the pipe, so that might be an issue.
Remember you will have to access the screws to tighten the coupler. 5 ft-lb is the normal torque. You don't need a torque wrench. Just don't see 60 inch-pounds and confuse that with foot-lbs.

I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A shielded coupling works fine. Most trapways on toilets are 2".
3" works fine, but in your case, 4" may be even easier to install. Flanges come in many flavors.
A 4" hub flange or a 4x3 hub flange.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your photo makes it pretty hard to see how much pipe is sticking up. A banded/shielded coupler needs about 1-1/2" of pipe to clamp onto the outside diameter.

Laxmidi

Reaction score
A shielded coupling works fine. Most trapways on toilets are 2".
3" works fine, but in your case, 4" may be even easier to install. Flanges come in many flavors.
A 4" hub flange or a 4x3 hub flange.

Terry, thank you very much for the advice... When using the shielded coupling, does it matter if the end of the existing pipe is jagged? Do I need to prepare the end of the pipe somehow or will the coupling shielded coupling work on a rough end? Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, thank you very much for the advice... When using the shielded coupling, does it matter if the end of the existing pipe is jagged? Do I need to prepare the end of the pipe somehow or will the coupling shielded coupling work on a rough end? Thank you.

Those cuts tend to be aways a bit jagged.

Reach4

Reaction score
That little notch will not hurt.

I would use some plumber's grease or silicone grease, but that is overkill. I am not a pro, and I am prone to overkill.

That is the cleanest looking old cast iron soil pipe picture that I have seen.

Laxmidi

Reaction score
That little notch will not hurt.

I would use some plumber's grease or silicone grease, but that is overkill. I am not a pro, and I am prone to overkill.

That is the cleanest looking old cast iron soil pipe picture that I have seen.
Thanks @Reach4. I go for overkill, too. I cleaned the soil pipe!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks