How do i connect washer drain to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

HJ_630

Reaction score
I bought a house and see this in the laundry room, how should i connect my washer drain to this? Do I need to thread a PVC pipe to this first and let the pipe go up so i can put washer drain on the pipe? Thanks

2017-04-21.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No. That is a drain for a drain pan.
It's not a washer drain.

washer_rough_1.jpg

Normally this is what you would have in the wall.
A 2" standpipe with p-trap, vented through the roof, with a hot and cold supply and water hammer arrestors.
That gray box on the left is the dryer venting.
This is a second floor installation, so you see a vent from downstairs tying back in at 42" above the floor.

Last edited:

HJ_630

Reaction score
The wall is already finished. The last person lived there took the washer and left this, i dont know how should i connect my washer drain to this...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From a plumbing standpoint, I can't either.
That looks to be a 1" thread on there for a drain pan that sits under a washer and collects water in case there is a leak.

If it's my home, I'm pulling the drywall off and taking a look to see what's up.
Is there a laundry tray nearby that the washer may have drained to?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What Terry describes is what you should do.

That looks like a PVC pipe with an NPT (MIP) thread. How big is the internal diameter? That will probably measure just a little larger than the nominal size.

Does that pipe maybe go to the yard rather than the sewer system?

Highlander

Reaction score
Based on typical shoe molding size, that pipe is not even close to correct size for a washing machine drain (especially the new ones). Located that close to the floor makes me think it's for one of those plastic drain pans, as Terry mentioned above. Maybe the washer used to drain in the laundry tub, if there is one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks