How do I change out a sewage elbow? (Pictures provided)

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now you have something against that tape?? Should he just hold his thumb up against that leak until the plumber arrives on a white horse?

Just wait 'til the economy goes further into recession.
Handymen will rule. ;)

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea until the kill off from disease caused by defective plumbing wrapped in tape!

plumbersprotectthehealthofournation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I also would recommend he use the tape (if it will work) to temporarily stop the leak until it is fixed correctly...

I don't think sewage leaking into a dwelling is a good thing...do any of you think it is a good thing?

Lets hear from those who think temporarily stopping the leak until it is correctly fixed is a bad thing / idea?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Temporary fixes have a way of deferring needed repairs.
We have already seen this with the epoxy and foam with that beautiful funnel to channel the leakage.
Perhaps it is finally time to do it the right way once and for all.

I agree waster and sewage should not be leaking down a wall.
Whats next some kind of funky mold growth?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree...but temporarily stopping it by any means possible is what I would recommend to any of my customers...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would also recommend to my customers that the walls and any contaminated areas be saturated with a mixture of water, chlorine and fabric softner...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Considering your first repair, and you statement you are not really handy, maybe you should either leave the funnel there and close up the wall, or call a plumber to fix it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can always get a second plumber out there to look at it.

In the meantime, have an assistant flush the toilet and you shine a flashlight as high as you can. If water is leaking through the floor, then the wax seal is no good on your toilet. If it's leaking at the PVC elbow, that should also be obvious.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Temporary fixes have a way of deferring needed repairs.
No, it just buys them some time to find a plumber who'll fix a leaky PVC elbow or reset a toilet for under $10,000. :eek:

Last edited:

GMrules

Reaction score
Maybe its just me, you said you wanted to trey yourself, i am sure you can rip out what there and save yourself the cost of that part of the job.

I grew up in b'klyn Bensonhurst Ave U, so I know what old crap your dealing with, Maybe you can peice it back together, you will never be able to patch this crap, rip out and do over is the best thing

The thing is can you find a plumber who will allow you to do the tear out

Just my 2 cents, is Pex allowed in Brooklyn now? PVC I am not even sure is allowed in old houses

GMrules

Reaction score
sorry forgot , maybe vinnie gumbats can come help you

or cousin Joe matterotes

Forget About patching seriously do it right these guys on here know what they are talking about

I feel your pain trust me

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Of all the plumbers to pick in that fat phone book you had to get a Rooter on a Saturday...

Fidodie

Reaction score
some observations/questions from a "scientist"....

0. the suggestion to get a "real" plumber is valid, because your pictures and descriptions generate more questions than the pictures and posts can efficiently answer...a pro, on-sight would immediately see the most efficient solution...that being said....

1. if the pipe that is leaking goes "up" - and i think i see a banded coupler up there, then perhaps it is a vent with a bit of negative pitch? water is pooling in the pipe, but not blocking the operation of the vent.....? don't see the trap for the tub, or the drain run.....

2. it is so tight in there, that the elbo couldn't be "turned" to get a good seal, or it was wet to begin with? thus the leaking joint. see 'why now?' below

3. what is the water source? condensation on the inside of the pipe? slow draining tub which forced the water up the vent? if it is a constant drip, then really what is the source other than condensation. (fill the tub, then let it drain and see if it gets worse???)

4. it definately could be fixed with a full replacement..$10k in plumbing work is going to be matched by $10k in refinishing work - seems an inefficient solution. the simplest solution is the best (and by solution, i mean something that fixes the problem, not defers, or masks it.)

5. why did this start after the initial repair? did the foam move the pipe? perhaps the coupler just needs to be tightened? realigned/replaced?

what to do to fix the problem.... and lets call it a gambit to avoid the major plumbing work - given that a possible fix is so inexpensive, that it justifies the attempt.

since you are willing to try...i suggest replacing the observed problem joint,
but be aware that there may be an underlying cause.

get a long bend street 90, a 2' section of 1.5" pvc, and another banded coupler (plumbing supply, not homeowner store). Cut the leaking 90 out, right at the hub - hopefully the piece that is left will clean up with pvc primer (wear goggles) - let it dry. recreate the vertical piece and use a banded coupler to connect the old horizontal pvc to the hubless side of the street 90 (pros: is this legal, or does it need a nipple/tail?)

if the pipe is pitched the wrong way, and it can't be 'convinced' to pitch towards the drain, that is a problem.

pretty sure you could get a hack saw up there, or at least a blade in a quick handle.

total cost - small pvc primer, cement, a street 90, piece of 1.5" pvc, and a coupler...

as suggested, hacking around in there could cause more problems, so plan B must be in place if all goes wrong - ie, the pvc pipe just falls apart. so have some plugs to close up the pipes (you can always return them if not used). be ready to do some tear-out in the bathroom. perhaps the wall adjacent to the w.c. and maybe even the floor under the w.c. which would make replacing the bend easier....

definitely test the seal on the w.c.

do you have a date on the bathroom remodel? just curious. I love the half sawn log joists.

good luck.....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Apparently someone took offense with my recommendation to just keep the funnel, but that is exactly what a plumber did years ago. I sent him to check a leak in a dishwasher supply line and he fixed it so it would not leak into the basement. Years later, it started to leak again. When I removed the front of the dishwasher, I found that he had put a large pan under the leak. The leak was fairly small so the water would evaporate before the pan could fill up. BUT, he used a steel pan rather than an aluminum one and it eventually rusted out and started to leak into the basement again.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And best of all.. no licensed plumbers were involved.

The "handy man" should be arrested and fined for plumbing without a license which is a FELONY in most states.

Once again the all mighty dollar rules the day at the expense of not only the law but also accepted plumbing practice. I have no doubt that a permit was never pulled nor was there ever any intention of pulling a permit and having the work inspected. As a result the household as well as those of the neighborhood may be in jeopardy once again.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Welding pipes?

I haven't done that in residential plumbing yet....

So we go from a Rooter Plumber to a handyman...
It doesn't get any better than that!

Yea! Post the pics!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks