How close to the end can you cut copper stub-outs for a compression fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing some radiators, and using the Uponor 3-1/2 x 8 ProPex copper stub-outs (https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=LF2865050)

I'm a little tight on length, and may need to get longer ones, though timing would not be ideal.

How close to the end of this stubout can I safely cut for a compression fitting? 5/8"? 3/4", 1"?

terrylove_stub-out_cutoff.jpg

Rossn

Reaction score
Maybe 1-1/16" is a as close as I can practically get, based on my tubing cutter guide-wheel, since the discolored section bumps out slightly.

terrylove_stub-out_cutoff-2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I was thinking 3/4 after looking at your first photo, but you make a good point on the cutter roller.

I like the Ridgid 101 "tubing cutter" for copper. It is compact. I don't know if it has a narrower roller. You can use a fine-blade hacksaw, and then clean it up.

Mliu

Reaction score
You don't have to use a rolling tubing cutter. If you really need to get as much length as possible, use a fine-toothed hacksaw just inside the heat-colored band. As long as the tubing is straight and not bulged, the compression fitting will slide on. You can wrap a piece of masking tape around the pipe (on the inside of the cut line) as a cutting guide. Saw gently so you get a straight cut and so that your saw doesn't jump out of the cut and scar the sealing area of your compression fitting.

Remember: If cutting with a hacksaw, you absolutely MUST deburr the inside and outside of your pipe, and you MUST flush out the copper chips (swarf) from the pipe before installing the angle stop valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks