How clean is water, my storage tank looks fine but I wonder

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwind1

Reaction score
Has anyone every "sterilized" their storage tanks? If so, how often should they be cleaned.

I do see some debris at the bottom of my tanks.

Is bleach still a safe thing to use? Here are my 2 tanks, they are both like 1000 gal + I do believe. The black tank gets water from the well/submersible pump, The jet pump for that black tank sends water up a hill to a steel tank, which supplies the house. Has a water softener and in line filter before house. I don't like to drink soft water though so I keep that part on bypass. I did post another thread with 2 other issues I am dealing with but have often wondered about water being stored in tanks and any safety concerns?

lower well storage and pump house.JPG
papa talk upper well tank with drawing.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes water in a cistern is exposed to light and air and can become contaminated. Every system is different and you need a water test. But usually a cup or two of chlorine on an appropriate schedule is all that is needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks