How can I pump water from a 2" casing???

Users who are viewing this thread

happymowing

Reaction score
I have a 2 " casing that you used to hold an old duro piston pump. The top of the water is 35' and the base of the well is 65'. I am trying to find something that will produce enough pressure to water a garden and other outside applications. I have researched air lift pumps, submersible pumps, deep well jet pumps...but it seems that there is not one out there for a 2 " casing that gets decent pressure as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
You're looking for a 1 hp pump, right? Two 1/2 hp or three 1/3 hp pumps hydraulically in series may give you the necessary pressure.

Also, you can probably get a lot of power for a small size from a pump that uses compressed air to spin the impeller, if anyone makes such a thing for wells.
Probably the only limit on power from such a pump would be the pressure rating of the supply hose.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The top of the water is at 35 ft. NO SUCTION PUMP will lift the water that far. You need a deep well jet pump or a small diameter submersible pump that you can drop into the well.

There are deep well jet kits that will work in a 2" well but you need a "packer" system that has one pipe going down the well and a seal at the bottom that allows water to flow in the annulus between the "down pipe" and the casing.

You could also use a cylinder pump such as the old windmill pumps that work with a rod going down the well. http://www.windmill-windmills.com/how-windmills-work.htm

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
A packer system would be your only option however due to the age of the well and internal corrosion I doubt that you can install a packer in this well. There is a 2" submersible pump manufactured but you need at least a 3" well casing.
A rod and cylinder pump wouldn't practically work in a 2" casing.
With all that said, I would say your only option on this existing 2" well would be a small 1/2" or 3/4" air line to near the bottom connected to a small 2 cfm or more air compressor. This would bubble/blow the water and air to the top of the ground or into an open top tank, then using a shallow well jet pump and possibly a Pside-Kick to supply pressure water to the garden. For safety of the pump you may also want to consider using a low pressure Square "D" pressure switch so that the pump would shut off when there is no water at the suction. All this may sound complicated but it's quite simple.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
At least we know someone does or did make very long driveshafts/pushrods that can drive pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks