How can I (properly) build a simple rectangular deck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We had a guy build a second half to our deck a few years ago and its completely falling apart. I want to rip it apart and rebuild, but I dont know much about the necessary spacing and depth and width of the wood and stuff. The deck is 10x20 and it's probably about 6 feet above our backyard. Are there any plans you guys can give me or just general advice?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is wrong with just making the new one like the old one, but better construction?

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've built a few decks for myself and friends using Trex, Ipe, tile, Timbertech, and painted PT lumber.

Trex

koa-01.jpg

Ipe

koa-11.jpg

koa-12.jpg

The most recent one was a Timbertech decking in a wet area.

koa-13.jpg

koa-14.jpg

koa-15.jpg

What I did on this last deck was the following to make sure the deck lasts a really long time.

The framing was designed to drain water so the spaces between boards never lined up with framing.
Flashing between house and deck so water sheds away from house.
The Timbertech was a PVC product so the deck was framed 12" on center so there's no flex of deck boards.
All framing was solid body stained before installing.
All end cuts were coated with West Systems Epoxy.
Any joints where wood met wood was caulked with polyurethane.
All deck boards were also set in polyurethane on joists.
All joists were wrapped with Peal and Seal roofing to seal out moisture.
All bolt holes were sealed with epoxy and bolts were imbedded with polyurethane.
No post is attached to the house, all are free standing.
Any through screwed boards were countersunk and plugged with matching textured plugs.
Hidden fasteners were used to secure deck boards.
Blocking was lowered to not interfere with drainage.

I doubt you will want to do all these things but you should make sure water can shed easily, paint the framing, use some sort of product to seal end cuts, use a joist wrap to protect top of joists, lower blocking, caulk where there's wood joints and make sure there's flashing between house and deck. Plan out your framing based on your materials including where your posts will be and how they interact with decking.

Reaction score
What is wrong with just making the new one like the old one, but better construction?

This is in fact what I am going for. However, I am trying to figure out what 'better construction' entails, exactly, since this one is such a mess.

Jon McAnally

Reaction score
Check out www.deck-eze.com this innovative tool will help you achieve a clean and professional looking deck in less time. Works with various board widths, spacing, and any hardwood or composite material. If its your 1st deck or 100th, building a deck has never been easier.

DIYer101

Reaction score
My local library has some good books with a lot of detail and pictures (what size wood for posts and beams, what size footers, design, dealing with city permits, etc). They make it look easy... If you've got a library nearby check it out.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
We had a guy build a second half to our deck a few years ago and its completely falling apart. I want to rip it apart and rebuild, but I dont know much about the necessary spacing and depth and width of the wood and stuff. The deck is 10x20 and it's probably about 6 feet above our backyard. Are there any plans you guys can give me or just general advice?

Thanks!

Try this:
http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/dca/AWC-DCA62012-DeckGuide-1405.pdf

if that doesn't work:
http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/publications/dca6

That's the single best starting point I know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks