How can I get a water softener system with Clack valve and Enpress Vortech tank when local companies sell under their own brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

AL123

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the metro Detroit area and I've been researching water softener system. It seems like I'd want Clack valve and Enpress Vortech tank, but it looks like all the local water softener companies sell systems under their own brands and do not disclose the manufacturers of each component.

How can I get Clack valve + Enpress Vortech tank? Do I look for a plumber that can buy these parts? And is there anything else/brand I need to look for other than the valve and the tank?

Thank you!
AL

Reach4

Reaction score
There is more. Resin. Bottom basket. Top basket, brine tank, safety float, air check valve, at least.

AL123

Reaction score
There is more. Resin. Bottom basket. Top basket, brine tank, safety float, air check valve, at least.
Do the manufacturers/brands matter for these other parts? If so, what brands should I look for?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Do the manufacturers/brands matter for these other parts?
Definitely!

For example, many low cost imported bottom screens are so light, they often canbe easily crushed between two fingers, but since that screen is utilized to prevent softening resin from escaping and creating a mess throughout your home's plumbing system, a good quality screen is imperative.

Because a softener usually delivers water that will be consumed for drinking & cooking, the safety of the internal components and softening resin is important.

Many imported media's would not necessarily pass water quality and safety test requirements that are mandatory for NA produced products. Standard resin is typically 8% cross linked and resin chosen for higher chlorine tolerance will be 10% cross linked, but many systems sold online will contain imported resin that may contain 6% or less cross-linking, which can reduce the resin's usable lifespan from the usual 10-20+ years to maybe 3-years and sometimes significantly less.

Treeman

Reaction score
Don't know if this interests you. Builders Plumbing & Heating (Ann Arbor) carry Charger brand softeners (Illinois based with multiple distributors). Charger has models available with all three major brand valves (Auto-Trol, Clack, Fleck). They have "plain" tank models and turbulator models (similar to Vortech, IDK???).

My first Charger model (mechanical timer Autotrol) lasted 18 years and probably could have gone longer with new resin. I had a new Charger (Clack WS 1 - computer control) installed in 2017 and zero problems. I have well water, 27 grain hardness, 1ppm iron, regenerate every 7 days (iron). I have the turbulator models (disliked here) and use a Rescare acid unit ($20) for resin management.

Find a plumber that uses Builders Plumbing & Heating if this interests you.

I am not a plumber and have zero connections with Charger/Builders Plumbing, other than very satisfied customer.

AL123

Reaction score
Don't know if this interests you. Builders Plumbing & Heating (Ann Arbor) carry Charger brand softeners (Illinois based with multiple distributors). Charger has models available with all three major brand valves (Auto-Trol, Clack, Fleck). They have "plain" tank models and turbulator models (similar to Vortech, IDK???).

My first Charger model (mechanical timer Autotrol) lasted 18 years and probably could have gone longer with new resin. I had a new Charger (Clack WS 1 - computer control) installed in 2017 and zero problems. I have well water, 27 grain hardness, 1ppm iron, regenerate every 7 days (iron). I have the turbulator models (disliked here) and use a Rescare acid unit ($20) for resin management.

Find a plumber that uses Builders Plumbing & Heating if this interests you.

I am not a plumber and have zero connections with Charger/Builders Plumbing, other than very satisfied customer.
How did you get your Charger? Did you just ask your plumber to order a Charger for you?

bingow

Reaction score
@AL123 if you search the Clack Corporation's website, one menu choice is "homeowner" where they will assist you in finding a dealer.

Treeman

Reaction score
How did you get your Charger? Did you just ask your plumber to order a Charger for you?
I have access through my workplace to buy materials from local jobber stores that sell to the pro trades people. That's why I suggested you find a plumber that uses that brand. Ferguson sells to the public, but their prices seem high to me and their brand offerings may not meet your needs.

Firethorne

Reaction score
Definitely!

For example, many low cost imported bottom screens are so light, they often canbe easily crushed between two fingers, but since that screen is utilized to prevent softening resin from escaping and creating a mess throughout your home's plumbing system, a good quality screen is imperative.

Because a softener usually delivers water that will be consumed for drinking & cooking, the safety of the internal components and softening resin is important.

Many imported media's would not necessarily pass water quality and safety test requirements that are mandatory for NA produced products. Standard resin is typically 8% cross linked and resin chosen for higher chlorine tolerance will be 10% cross linked, but many systems sold online will contain imported resin that may contain 6% or less cross-linking, which can reduce the resin's usable lifespan from the usual 10-20+ years to maybe 3-years and sometimes significantly less.
Any resin brand recommendation? I am about to rebed my resin. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks