How are you supposed to Tee a 2" drain pipe inside a 2x4 wall??

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Mason

Reaction score
We are installing a pedestal sink (wall drain) in a 2x4 wall, and the vertical drain (in the wall) is 2" PVC. How are you supposed to tee the 2" PVC and attach the appropriate adapters all within the 3.5" space of a 2x4 wall? Or are the pipes going to have to be in the conditioned space? To make matters worse, the vertical PVC is a bit towards the front of the wall, leaving only 3" of space to work with. Help?!

I am working with a 2" PVC drain pipe, a 2" to 1.5" "standard" sanitary reducing tee, and a slip-in (male) piece that has the locking nut for the p-trap (sorry if terminology is off... hope that is clear)

Things I have thought of: Can I reduce down to 1.5" at the point of attachment to get more space? Can I angle the work back into the wall and then elbow back out somehow?

This seems like a standard thing, so how do people usually work around this?

Thanks for the advice!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The three pieces you refer to are exactly what we use all the time and we do not have problems connecting the sink traps to them. You are making a simple task difficult, i.e., a mountain out of a molehill. The tee faces out, the trap adapter goes into it, the trap goes into that, and a chrome bell escutcheon covers everything up.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You could offset the riser in the wall with 1/16th bends, but too much offset will force you to have to shift the tee slightly right or left of where it is now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks