How are yard hydrants pressurized on the input side of a pressure tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Showme

Reaction score
I've installed a freeze proof hydrant next to my well casing. Right now I'm running off solar until we get our house built next year, but something crossed my mind the other day, and that is, how will the hydrant be pressurized if I have a check valve on the incoming side of the pressure tank?

The question came to me as I was hooking up a 500 gallon water tank for utility use when the work starts on the house. I installed a float switch that runs to the solar pump controller (a Grundfoss CU200) as a shut off for the tank. It then occurred to me that the hydrant won't work if the float switch is signaling a full tank and switched the pump off. So now I'm back to manually starting/stopping the pump when we want to use the hydrant for now. I can't let the pump operate with the system closed, so this is the way it is for awhile. (The system is a T coming out of the pitless, with one line being a 500' coil that will serve the house and the garden that's 300' past it. The other branch of the T goes temporarily to the utility tank, but will eventually serve the shop that will be built.)

Anyway, now I'm wondering how all those yard hydrants on pressurized systems with check valves work? What am I not seeing here?
Thanks for answers, Lee

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks