How are cast iron radiators moved? Hard to take apart and reassemble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eclecticmn

Homeowner with hot water cast iron radiators
Reaction score
So ....
I found a free cast iron radiator on local craigslist, for free. 19 in high, 13 in wide, and5 1/3 feet long. I hired 2 movers who arrived on site and learned they could not move it. I did not have to pay. Lesson learned.
I recently found one cheap on craigslist and do not know the exact dimensions yet. 26 inches high. 21 sections, column type? Maybe 9 in wide?

The seller had to leave town but said they could be taken apart. They do not appear to have threaded rods from the single photo available.

Ideally, the radiator would be 19 in high and around 5 feet long. Width can be varied. Maybe 9 in wide. Yes I know that the heat would vary also.

For perhaps long term interest, I have some questions.
1. How do people move these monsters? Who do they hire? How many men to move a 5 foot long under window radiator?
2. How hard is it to take apart and reassemble a cast iron radiator? Is that what professionals do?
3. I see that threaded rod radiators look doable. I see that other radiators require a special long rod expensive tool. Any comments?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Two big strong young men. Radiators are held together by slip nipples between sections. There is a smooth tapered nipple with the taper on both ends. Sections are pulled together with rods. There are two types of radiators steam and hot water. Most steam radiators can be used for both but is the sections are tied together just on the bottom it's steam only.

Aaloo

Reaction score
So ....
I found a free cast iron radiator on local craigslist, for free. 19 in high, 13 in wide, and5 1/3 feet long. I hired 2 movers who arrived on site and learned they could not move it. I did not have to pay. Lesson learned.
I recently found one cheap on craigslist and do not know the exact dimensions yet. 26 inches high. 21 sections, column type? Maybe 9 in wide?

The seller had to leave town but said they could be taken apart. They do not appear to have threaded rods from the single photo available.

Ideally, the radiator would be 19 in high and around 5 feet long. Width can be varied. Maybe 9 in wide. Yes I know that the heat would vary also.

For perhaps long term interest, I have some questions.
1. How do people move these monsters? Who do they hire? How many men to move a 5 foot long under window radiator?
2. How hard is it to take apart and reassemble a cast iron radiator? Is that what professionals do?
3. I see that threaded rod radiators look doable. I see that other radiators require a special long rod expensive tool. Any comments?
I am having the same issue @Fitter30 gave a valuable answer but still I couldn't understand how to move the radiators?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wheels, straps, dollies, and motivation. This is kind of like saying, how do I move a house, or a couch, or anything. You move it by coming up with a plan and following through. You start by just unhooking the pipe and sliding it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks