Houston, we have a problem. Well sunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

brokenparts

Certified backyard mechnaic
Reaction score
Walked to the shower this morning... no water. It has been really cold (below freezing) here for several weeks, so I think... crap, broken pipe under the house. So I look, no water under the house.

Then I walk out to the well and see this:

120FFA1A-D80D-4565-A49A-EED88028E41C_zpslxtx4fhz.jpg

The top of that concrete is usually about 2-3 feet above the well casing. Somehow over night the concrete sunk around that casing and not just a little bit. Anyone seen something like this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect that striped hose used to connect to that pipe in the upper left quadrant of the photo. Maybe that connector let go, and water flooded the area. The dirt turned to mud, and the concrete sank.

It looks like that well casing top is below ground level. I don't know what your proper solution is going to be, but I think it should include getting the casing extended to 10 inches or more above ground.

I suspect that water flowed down the well casing during the event. You want to sanitize that system before drinking the water.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never seen anything like that before.

Keep this thread updated. I'd like to know what caused it. Also it looks like you can go to a submersible pump and get rid of the jet pump and well pit.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Who used that suction line for pressure line?

I suspect it has a split and caused the problem as the previous poster suggested.

Get rid of the galv fittings and PVC 90's to the drop pipes too. Brass fittings are the way to go.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Who used that suction line for pressure line?

I suspect it has a split and caused the problem as the previous poster suggested.

Get rid of the galv fittings and PVC 90's to the drop pipes too. Brass fittings are the way to go.

that line was just an extra line that went to a faucet outside... it was turned off.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Just had a pump/well service company come out... they think the well has collapsed. It is continuing to sink...it is down another 6" or so. They had to call in the big boss to evaluate. He isnt available until this afternoon.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just had a pump/well service company come out... they think the well has collapsed. It is continuing to sink...it is down another 6" or so. They had to call in the big boss to evaluate. He isnt available until this afternoon.
Has the top of the casing sunk? Saying the well has collapsed would imply that, I think.

I had initially presumed that only the concrete box had sunk around the casing.

So if the well collapsed, you want your new well to use a pitless adapter with your new submersible pump. You will put the pressure tank and switch inside.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Never seen anything like that before.

Keep this thread updated. I'd like to know what caused it. Also it looks like you can go to a submersible pump and get rid of the jet pump and well pit.

That's what the first two service guy said...

Here is a couple more pics with better light and you can see it is still sinking.

A556D44E-AFB5-48E6-A0B3-EE13B17A0420_zpsm6sc730y.jpg

9D429A77-D65A-46EE-B59E-3E152A4F039C_zpsp3ye2sm0.jpg

2B6B6307-9569-43B2-B30E-CD58B88EA982_zpsrrhxz2vv.jpg

brokenparts

Reaction score
Again, the wood on top of that concrete is usually 2 feet above grade. It's hard to tell about the casing... but it certainly has not sunk at the same rate as the concrete.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The top of that concrete is usually about 2-3 feet above the well casing.
Again, the wood on top of that concrete is usually 2 feet above grade.

1. Was the casing at about ground level before, and now the casing top is a foot below ground? So the casing has dropped about a foot?
  2. Or the casing was 6 inches below ground level and it is still 6 inches below ground level?
  3. other?

brokenparts

Reaction score
The casing was roughly 4-5" or so above the floor of the the concrete "box" which was roughly even with the dirt. You can kinda see where the concrete was on the casing.

It's very difficult to measure how much or IF the casing has sunk. My gut tells me it has sunk a bit though.

brokenparts

Reaction score
Is there a bottom to that concrete box? Could it have filled with water to undermine the dirt?

There is a bottom to the concrete box (concrete). The fittings from the pump to everything else seem to be intact. I would expect to see more water "in the box" if it had filled with water.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of sinkhole. I'm not familiar with the geology in your area so I'm watching with interest to see what the problem is. Good luck!!

brokenparts

Reaction score
Looks like some kind of sinkhole. I'm not familiar with the geology in your area so I'm watching with interest to see what the problem is. Good luck!!

Too dark to take pictures this morning but the concrete has sunk a bit more since yesterday. Luckily we have another well on the property and we were able to stretch enough hose from it to our home filtration system... that will at least get us by until we figure out this problem. They are going to bring in some equipment over the next couple days and figure out what is going on. I'll keep this thread updated.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the plan? Bust up the concrete box and re-grout the well?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks