House feels SO COLD in summer and T-Stat on 77

Users who are viewing this thread

GMrules

Reaction score
I just bought a house last year and in the summer Temp set to 76-77 and house is feels so cold

I have a theory, T-Stat has humidity setting and its in the 30's.

Could this be my issue? Humidity too Low?

I live in NC so the outside Humidity has not really kicked in yet.

Any ideas?

I am sorry I know its a Carrier with Puron Dual Fuel not sure of the size home is 2300 Sq Ft

I can look up the size if I get some direction on how, I can get Model and SN if u tell me where to look

Thanks for any advise

George
Apex NC

Reaction score
You need to eliminate doubt and get an accurate temp reading of rooms in your home, not how it "feels".

Get some readings of every room with a infrared thermometer gun.

They are inexpensive and found in every big box hardware store.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be that the thermostat is located in a warmer area. Is it next to a light bulb or in a sunny spot?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Humidity control often requires reheat, and is quite an energy user! The fan speed and humidity levels combined can may you feel colder. Trane used to have an advertisement for their variable speed fans...identical houses, identically sized units, one with a standard single speed fan, the second, their variable speed fan. The one with the variable speed fan withdrew enough excess moisture from the home to fill a typical backyard swimming pool verses the standard speed fan version. 30% is probably a bit low during a hot, humid summer. You might try raising it to say 40% and see how you feel. Your energy bill might also go down. Generally, less than 50% is desired - higher can lead to other issues.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Seriously- what he said! 50%RH @ 77F is both comfortable & healthy for most people. Above 50% RH dust mites can thrive, becoming a health issue for those with dust mite allergies. Above 60% RH skin fungus issues and airborne mold spores counts go way up.

30% RH is at the low end of the healthy-humidity range- below that airborne virus transmission goes up, along with chapped lips and dry skin issues.

So, bump up the dehumidistat setting to 50% and see how it feels. When there's a significant sensible (temperature) cooling load the AC will likely pull it down into the 40s even when it's sticky outside.

A model name & number might be useful for figuring out other strategies.

GMrules

Reaction score
Seriously- what he said! 50%RH @ 77F is both comfortable & healthy for most people. Above 50% RH dust mites can thrive, becoming a health issue for those with dust mite allergies. Above 60% RH skin fungus issues and airborne mold spores counts go way up.

30% RH is at the low end of the healthy-humidity range- below that airborne virus transmission goes up, along with chapped lips and dry skin issues.

So, bump up the dehumidistat setting to 50% and see how it feels. When there's a significant sensible (temperature) cooling load the AC will likely pull it down into the 40s even when it's sticky outside.

A model name & number might be useful for figuring out other strategies.

do I just need the model and S/N from the outside unit or the air handler in crawl as well?

Thanks
George

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The outdoor unit's model number and rating might be good enough, but maybe not. Get both if you can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks