house drainage system question...

Users who are viewing this thread

gsxr750

Reaction score
I know this is the best place to ask...
my gutter goes into a 3"iron pipe in the ground on the far side of the street...well I always thought that an other 2 gutters go into the same iron pipe under ground and the whole thing is conected to the street sewer pipe....the other day I found out that the other two are only conected together and "maybe" to the street sewer pipe...so I wanned to see where the furthest one is connected and start digging the hole...I noticed that the pipe under ground is going down into the ground at pretty steep angle aprox.20deg and almoast imposible for me to see where is this thing heading...and that's my question???
1-I never noticed my gutter overflowing
2- part of my basement is dump after rain close to the location but slightly in opposite direction...
3-my house is abou t60yrs old

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not legal today to drain the storm runoff to the sewer. Who knows what they did 60 years ago. You may have some kind of french drain which is not working, hence the wet basement

gsxr750

Reaction score
in case of a french drain would pipe be directed away from the house?my pipe in the ground is around 5" from the house pararell to the house...its a mystery for me how does this work :) or how should work...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
aprox.20deg
Each 10' horizontally it drops 4'; there's not too many places it could go.

If you run a snake in it by hand you may be able to gauge the length to either the endpoint or to where the pipe takes a turn.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks