Hotwater Heater: Vent Pipe Not Aligned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Successful_Web_7982

Reaction score
I recently had roof work done and people in my attic. It looks like the vent pipe (large metal piece) is not properly aligned on the hotwater heater anymore (it's not sitting directly above the hole at the top of the hotwater heater system). Anyone confirm this is what happened and how to fix? Am I able to realign myself or do I need to have someone come out to handle it?

wh-chimney-wrong.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should not use your water heater with the vent misaligned as shown, as you are exhausting combustion gasses directly into the space shown. That's potentially life threatening.

There's a good chance you can move the hood back over the center of the water heater with just your hands. If so, that's an adequate short term solution (a day or two, I would think), but the vent needs to be better secured so that it can't be dislodged like that. I would say the people working in your attic and on your roof are responsible for properly fixing it.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks