Hot water temp returns to normal??

Users who are viewing this thread

Spedprof

Reaction score
Have a 6 year old A.O. Smith 50 Gal electric hot water heater that seemed to be sending out much hotter water the past few days. Prior to that, had to reset it once for some unknown reason. Yet today, wateer temperature seemed to go back to normal. Can this happen? No DIY for me, does it need servicing? Thanks

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Have a 6 year old A.O. Smith 50 Gal electric hot water heater that seemed to be sending out much hotter water the past few days. Prior to that, had to reset it once for some unknown reason. Yet today, wateer temperature seemed to go back to normal. Can this happen? No DIY for me, does it need servicing? Thanks

Keep an eye on it .The Temperature in NY has increased and depending where you get your water supply from the water temperature temperature can increase or decrease by 20Deg F

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thanks.... Please explain "The Temperature in NY has increased..."

If you did not notice we had very cold days this winter and my company was working 7 days a week 14+ hours a day with freeze ups and no heat calls and resetting the temperature control on shower body's and water heaters and tempering valves

The hottest month of the year in New York City is summer, with an average high of 84°F and low of 71°F. The cold season lasts for 3.3 months, from December 3 to March 12, with an average daily high temperature below 48°F.

NYC gets its water supply from Reservoirs that have temperature fluctuations during each season (Ambient temperatures affect the water temperature) Warm water enters a tank the water is hotter on the discharge, cold water enters a tank the outlet will be cooler depending on usage

I was in Brooklyn Supreme court 3 months ago testifying about a scalding cases where the temperature was 22 DEG high then it was set on the thermostat (I call it an aqua stat) on the water heater and how stacking also causes erratic temperature fluctuations

Here is a chart to explain temperature differences

Spedprof

Reaction score
If you did not notice we had very cold days this winter and my company was working 7 days a week 14+ hours a day with freeze ups and no heat calls and resetting the temperature control on shower body's and water heaters and tempering valves

The hottest month of the year in New York City is summer, with an average high of 84°F and low of 71°F. The cold season lasts for 3.3 months, from December 3 to March 12, with an average daily high temperature below 48°F.

NYC gets its water supply from Reservoirs that have temperature fluctuations during each season (Ambient temperatures affect the water temperature) Warm water enters a tank the water is hotter on the discharge, cold water enters a tank the outlet will be cooler depending on usage

I was in Brooklyn Supreme court 3 months ago testifying about a scalding cases where the temperature was 22 DEG high then it was set on the thermostat (I call it an aqua stat) on the water heater and how stacking also causes erratic temperature fluctuations

Thanks, I understand... just did not know why you were referring to external temperature in NY, when i assumed the internal temperature of the water in the heater should remain constant at the internal thermostat setting, irrespective of the temp of the water as it enters the heater. My query concerned whether the internal water temperature could change from "normal" hot, as it has been for several years, to "much, much hotter" for a few days and then revert back to "normal hot" as it seems to have done.

Thanks again, I'm always trying to learn.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have a 6 year old A.O. Smith 50 Gal electric hot water heater that seemed to be sending out much hotter water the past few days. Prior to that, had to reset it once for some unknown reason.
Did a child have access to the control? Just an idea.
What did you mean by reset it? Adjust the dial, or something else?

Spedprof

Reaction score
Did a child have access to the control? Just an idea.
What did you mean by reset it? Adjust the dial, or something else?
No children... for seemingly no reason, no thunderstorm, , no electric surge, hot water stopped being produced about a week or so ago,... went online and saw that I had to find and push the reset button which started it up again. Been fine since but as noted, when it came back, water was hotter than in the past. However, after a few days of hotter than usual water, it seems to have returned to its old normally functioning temperature of hot water state. Curious as to whether hot water heaters have such intermittent problems, perhaps indicating they will need repairs or replacement soon??

Reach4

Reaction score
The newer codes call for mixing valves that mix hot with cold to the hot lines going to faucets and showers. If you had that, then the big differences would not have been noticed.

Rather than replace the whole WH, I am thinking you can replace the thermostat. But WorthFlorida suspects the elements, and he has experience that I do not.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
One of your heating elements is failing. Clue one it the thermostat tripped. Either over current or too hot of a temperature caused it. 2nd is the water is suddenly very hot. I've had where steam spits out of the faucets. The heating element get water inside of it and causes the water a turn to steam, it might have a short in it but with enough resistance to keep the current low enough not to trip the breaker. It will eventually totally fail.

Change out both heating elements. If water continues to be too hot with the thermostat set to about 120 degrees, change both upper and lower thermostats. Or, the water heater is at its end of life.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The newer codes call for mixing valves that mix hot with cold to the hot lines going to faucets and showers. If you had that, then the big differences would not have been noticed.

My thermostatic control is mechanical. I suspect you have an electronic (Honeywell). I don't have experience in what you experienced. But rather than replace the whole WH, you can replace the control.

Actually a tempering valve (mixing) is NOT considered an anti scald device according to the ASSE 1070-2015/ASME A112.

A "mixing valve" is slow acting and therefore does not offer scald protection

Reach4

Reaction score
Just thinking. What if the lower thermostat was set to a lot hotter than the upper thermostat. What if the top thermostat was set to a lot hotter than the lower thermostat. Could either of these lead to the symptoms that spedprof describes? I don't see it, but I was looking for something simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks