hot water tank relief value leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

guateman9

Reaction score
Hi all, have a older hot water tank that has worked fine for 3 years. Recently when we turn on the electricity(we keep it turned off to keep the light bill down) to take showers, when it gets hot the relief value opens up and a good stream of water comes out until we finish with our showers and turn off the electricity to the tank. Probably as the water temp goes down. Then no more water comes out of the relief value.

I assume I need to replace the relief value? What do you think,

Thanks and I live in Guatemala where my electricity bill runs $ 300 a month or more, so saving electricity is a priority. And if you need to know, I am from Denver originally,

Cheers everyone,
Scott

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How old is old? Longer then 3 years or something like ten years?

If there is no other reason for the leaking PRV, other than the spring finally got old, then a simple replacent should do it. The hardware stores carry them on the shelves down there.

Most of the plumbing parts there remind me of the US, except for how they run the pipes in the wall.

If after replacing the PRV, it still gives you trouble, then it could be something like the thermostats, thermal expansion or high water pressure.

I would change the PRV first.

guat_lav.jpg

Guatemala

guateman9

Reaction score
thank you

Terry, thanks and will give it a try and let you know. If you visit here, look me up. Great place, gets alot of bad press, but actually love living here,

Scott

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks