Hot Water Tank connected directly to Generator

Users who are viewing this thread

06Honda

Reaction score
I have been considering purchasing a portable generator for the house to have in case of a power outage that would last a few days. Well this weekend it looks like a 2 day ice storm is going to blanket our area and now may be the time to pick one up. My main item to run as it is short time use is a Power Direct Vent Gas Water Heater that plugs into 120 ac but is a natural gas tank. I have checked online and apparently natural gas does not shutdown during an electrical power outage (not sure if this is true) so in theory if my tank itself has electricity i should have heat. It is a infloor radiant system with 2 zones. Looking for opinions on having something around to at last run an extension cord from the tank to outside to plug directly into the generator. Thanks for any advice or tips with.

* I just thought about it and have realized it won't work as the components for the infloor system are wired into the house system IE: circulation pump , etc duhhh on my part. I couldn't find a tab to delete this post.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the reliability of the power coming to your home is in question, you could also consider a stationary generator with a transfer switch. On of the benefits to natural gas is that it is not effected by a power outage. Combining this with a generator which will handle all of your critical loads is not an uncommon thing to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks