Hot water takes a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry in Veneta

Reaction score
Re-piped house in 1/2 inch PEX, with a Stiebel-Eltron 80 amp tankless water heater set at 121 degrees Fahrenheit and Manabloc manifold, both in the garage (partially insulated). Takes a while to get hot water to the kitchen and bathroom (runs are about 40-50 ft). PEX goes up through well-insulated attic and walls from the manabloc.
Is it possible to get more hot water sooner to the kitchen and bathroom? Haven't installed the dishwasher yet, will want it to be using hot water right away. How would one get more hot water to everything sooner? Would that involve some form of recirculation? How would that work? Could one add a pre-heater in the hot water circuit? Has anyone done this?
Thanks in advance.
Larry

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Manabloc warranty probably is voided by using a recirc system. And you would need one for every homerun that you have that you want to have hot water fast at. A recirc pump that Only pumps when a button is pressed may be a good compromise. I know when we were doing manabloc that we only used 3/8" tubing in order to lessen the time it takes to get hot water. But I stopped installing them at a time when I wasn't as thoughtful and sciency about installations.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
For proper recirculation, you need to start over. You should have considered that before the repipe. Sad, because it will get expensive and perform poorly now.
There are plenty of non return pump products to get hot water and push through the cold side with a bridge.
Taco and Grundfos have those kits and you can add a pushbutton activation so the cold isn't always hot, but it would solve your kitchen situation and you can add one to the bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks