Hot water shower cartridge leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Ira

Reaction score
Replacing my hot water cartridge due to the old one getting plugged up and breaking during removal.

I found the replacement cartridge (thanks @ aurora plumbing in seattle), but not able go get a perfect seal, so that it's constantly leaking.

Attached relevant pictures of new cartridge and inside of pipe. Any guidance much appreciated!

60883449760--F358AB4E-680E-4567-AA32-FC6ABCB1B174.JPG
60883445012--CBBFE4BE-AEF6-46B8-9AE5-43EA3E14DF4F.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wonder if you have any hard water deposits preventing the rubber O-Ring from sealing?
Perhaps come careful cleaning and some plumbers grease.

Reactions: Ira

Reach4

Reaction score
That first photo is pretty bad, but it looks like something is out of round.

Ira

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

re: hard water deposits.. I'm sure they are an issue, but the cartridge is a replacement I just bought new, so I don't think that's the issue.

@Reach4, are you referring to the outer or inner pipe? I can take a bigger picture. The inner pipe does look damaged, and the threads on the outer pipe is a bit damaged but I don't think it could cause the leaking?

Not very scientific, but if I just jam my index finger in there I can stop the leaking entirely, whereas the cartridge does not (even with pressure at a minimum).

Reach4

Reaction score
are you referring to the outer or inner pipe? I can take a bigger picture. The inner pipe does look damaged, and the threads on the outer pipe is a bit damaged but I don't think it could cause the leaking?
I was referring to the outer. The sealing would be at the o-rings, so those places are what would matter, I think.

Did you maybe distort the housing trying to get things apart?

Bigger picture would not help. In focus closer could help, but its not like I am familiar with your cartridge etc.

Ira

Reaction score
I was referring to the outer. The sealing would be at the o-rings, so those places are what would matter, I think.

Did you maybe distort the housing trying to get things apart?

Bigger picture would not help. In focus closer could help, but its not like I am familiar with your cartridge etc.

Yeah it looks like I have distorted the housing, as you suggested. I didn't think it would affect the sealing as long as the inner interface was able to seal properly. Damn, guess I'm making another trip to the hardware store... Here are another couple pictures of the assembly if it helps:

Attachments

• IMG-0306.jpg
    IMG-0306.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG-0304.jpg
    IMG-0304.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 133

Ira

Reaction score
It looks like it's just not sealing against the inner piping nicely, and that's what's causing the leakage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks