Hot Water Sensor in Kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
A Navien tankless WH equipped with a built-in circulation pump will be an 'A' series model such as NPE-240A. The non 'A' models do not incorporate a pump.

Although an 'A' model has a pump, do not assume it is configured for recirculation through the home's plumbing.

1st, the dedicated return line would need to be actually connected to the Recirculation Water Supply port on the bottom of the WH. If that port remains capped, a return line is not connected.

2nd, if a return line is connected, there is a 2-way valve inside the WH that must be in the External position for the return line to be connected to the circulation pump inlet. If that 2-way valve remains in the Internal position, recirculation will not occur through the home's plumbing.

3rd, the WH's internal DIP switches must be set appropriately for external circulation.

Below are diagrams from the NPE-240A manual. You didn't specify the Navien model you obtained, so if it is another model, your manual may specify alternate settings.

npe-recirc-flow-external.jpg

npe-recirc-flow-external-2.jpg

npe-recirc-flow-external-3.jpg

Greenthumb77

Reaction score
Big thank-you for all the help. I ended up getting a Navien tankless with a built in recirc pump built in. Finally my wife is happy with hot water to the kitchen island sink. Again thank you to all.

Jim

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Big thank-you for all the help. I ended up getting a Navien tankless with a built in recirc pump built in. Finally my wife is happy with hot water to the kitchen island sink. Again thank you to all.

Jim

All Navien tankless owners need to periodically check for exhaust leakage at the combustion chamber & heat exchanger, and at the rubber gasket that seals the exhaust vent to the cabinet. Any signs of rust or oily residue in either location is a red flag. With soapy water the leakage at the heat exchanger can be tested for leaks during the first flue purge on power-up (no flames). That requires powering off/unplugging completely, then turning it back on, with the front of the case open, soapy water spritzer in hand. See this thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks