Hot water on dedicated recirculation line

Users who are viewing this thread

MachAF

Reaction score
When I run hot water without the recirc pump on it takes a while to get warm but it never gets truly hot. Let’s say it feels like only 100f. When I turn the pump on I will get hot water (120f). Any ideas why that is? Is cold water mixing with the hot some how? I didn’t think it did that with a dedicated recirc line.

thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need a properly working check valve on the return line, otherwise, when drawing hot, it can come from both the hot supply, and the return line which is normally plumbed into the bottom of the tank, so is typically the coolest area of the tank, or will be once you start using hot as that's where the cold goes.

MachAF

Reaction score
You need a properly working check valve on the return line, otherwise, when drawing hot, it can come from both the hot supply, and the return line which is normally plumbed into the bottom of the tank, so is typically the coolest area of the tank, or will be once you start using hot as that's where the cold goes.

That makes sense! I never thought it like that. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, some pumps can be had with a built-in check valve, but it's not that hard to put one inline where you have access, and, if there's more than one branch on that return line, make sure to put the valve where it can handle both sides or use more than one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks