Hot water leaks from tub spout during showers

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve42

Reaction score
We have a Price Pfister 3-handle tub/shower assembly in our front bath that is probably about 15 years old.

Because we are remodeling the master bathroom, my wife and I have been using this bath along with the kids. We have observed a steady stream of water from the tub spout when the taking showers. I know that this is typically indicative of the washer in the diverter failing. The strange thing is that it seems the water that is leaking is hot, not the same temperature as what is coming from the shower head. Is it possible that the leak is only of hot water, or are we simply feeling it as warmer because it is a contiguous stream and not as spread out as the shower spray?

Thanks,

Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water is closer to the source and not aerated.

You need to replace the loose washer (950-040) that goes over the stem of the diverter.

pp_3v.gif

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I would use 950-040 for that problem. I believe the 950-050 is the cap gasket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve42

Reaction score
Hackney Plumbing said:
I would use 950-040 for that problem. I think Terry made a typo. I believe the 950-050 is the cap gasket.

For the money, I'll buy both to make sure.

I will check Lowe's and/or Home Depot on the way home. The online vendors want to sell me the parts for under $1.00 with $10 shipping!

Thanks!

Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like to buy the stem with washer and the seat for it. Not that the seat is the problem with your situation though. As a plumber, if I don't replace the seat, I may need to come back too soon.

Steve42

Reaction score
I apologize for delaying on my reply here, but we got busy with all of our remodeling efforts and I actually forgot about this repair (and the subsequent advice) until our kids began complaining about there being no hot water when they showered. They began using our master shower instead until I could buy the part (and take the time) to repair it.

For future reference for folks who stumble upon this thread, don't go to Lowe's or Home Depot for the parts to repair this problem. The washer 950-040 you actually need to repair this problem is not sold there. I wound up buying a whole new diverter stem.

Also, apparently the PF stem I have is a short shank version; the new stem was much too long. I just used the washers from the new assembly and rebuilt my old stem. Anyway, it fixed the problem.

The 950-040 washer can be purchased online a few places, but they will eat you alive on shipping unless you are buying other parts as well. If I had gone to a local professional plumbing supply house, I probably could have saved $10-15 on the repair, but otherwise, I believe this solved our problems.

Thanks Terry and everyone else... excellent advice as always! :cool:

Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I wound up buying a whole new diverter stem.

I NEVER repair a diverter, and ALWAYS replace the entire stem. You have the Verve style, but bought the diverter for Classic version. They do not always interchange in the bonnet because there are sometimes a thread pitch difference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks