Hot water leak under concrete foundation slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Cheezhead12

Reaction score
We hired a leak detector and he marked the spot on the floor where the leak is coming from in our downstairs bathroom.

My husband and I have been basically chipping away at the foundation scared to death we'll cut through another pipe or through the one leaking where we will make it worse.

We've gone down about 1 inch in to the slab so far using a saw with a concrete-cutting blade and chisel attached to an air compressor....much harder to break through concrete than we thought!!!

How deep is the hot water pipe? Are there usually other pipes next to it...like a cold pipe?

Attachments

• Concrete digging - Leak.jpg
    Concrete digging - Leak.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 607

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To answer your questions: The pipes are not very deep and there could be other pipes in the area...we can't tell if we don't see.
An 8 or 10 lb sledge hammer will crack what's left of the slab in the photo, after the initial cracks, use a chisel to pry the pieces out.

Now let me give you the bad news: If you have copper tubing under the slab, pinhole leaks come in bunches. You do the math, consider a repipe job instead of repair jobs.
The few times that I was facing such leaks, I decided to repipe rather than repairing. In a repipe you just run new pipes and leave the old ones buried.
The work also involves cutting walls to gain access, then repairing drywall and painting.
Get estimates from plumbers who only do repipings, book a cruise and come back when the job is done.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As said, once you have one hole, you probably have more, or you will have more, and you'll be chasing your tail for several years trying to repair it all piecemeal. Hot is the first to go. Cold may follow, but it usually lives longer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The majority of leaks I have found were at or near walls where the copper was bent to come up through the floors and in those cases, that leak was the ONLY one for that residence.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would have started breaking concrete to the side of the X. Locate the pipes from the side and then carefully excavate on top of the X. Concrete will break easier when undermined too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks