Hot water in Upstairs bathroom stopped working

Users who are viewing this thread

Kirk Gerwin

Reaction score
Ok so the story behind this one is we moved into this house a couple of years ago and the previous owners installed a shower down in the basement bathroom. When they were doing this they somehow reversed the hot & cold water lines going to the shower (1st image down below is the original setup, this is from behind the shower) I turned off the water the the house and closed off the return line from the water heater and drained out the lines in the house. I then redid the lines so that they were correct for the shower (Pictures 2&3 hard to get good ones because its up in the ceiling)However after turning everything back on I now have no hot water in one of my upstairs bathrooms. I still get cold water through the faucet (2 handle - 1 tap). I figured at this point that maybe some crud from the water heater was plugged in the line so I went and drained out the heater and flushed it for a good 40+ mins until it was clear. I then opened all the valves back up and still nothing. I then attempted to force cold water through the hot water line to try to see if maybe something was lodged in there pretty good and still nothing. I went back down to look at the pipes again to make sure the upstairs line was not further down the line from this setup. It wasn't, the hot water further down the line on this run is the bathroom sink in the same downstairs bathroom and that one works fine. I disconnected the valve in the upstairs bathroom to see if maybe it was between the valve and the faucet itself.....no dice yet again. Completely removed the valve and turned on the water because at this point id rather clean up a mess if it at least took care of the problem.....and you guessed it....nothing. I am at a complete loss at this point as I cant figure out how this happened and exhausted all ideas on how to fix it. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated
78968482_10101367779906972_3544264496501489664_n.jpg

^-Original Setup - lines are viewed from the back of the shower - cold is feeding hot and vice versa
78739892_10101367779971842_8790062407088078848_n.jpg

79433540_10101367779936912_2045689920902660096_n.jpg

^These last 2 are of after I changed the lines around (The lines are not in contact they are about 2-3" apart - Just hard to get good pictures) Neither of these lines go up to the upstairs bathroom - those are fed through a different line about 30' away on the other side of the basement. Odd thing is the hot water line on the far left of the bottom picture (just before where they spliced in to install this shower) does go up to the tub(Which works by the way) in that same upstairs bathroom - but it doesn't seem to feed the sink.

Kirk Gerwin

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I also attempted to use an air compressor to flush the line(have a neat little adapter for blowing out my sprinkler lines that I used). Closed off the water heater, looked up the appropriate PSI that I could safely introduce into the Copper lines and tried for about an hour hooked up to one bathroom sink and tried to blow it through the other - closed off the cold water valves so as to not push any air through those. Still did not work, but my solder did hold up, even if it's not pretty.

Kirk Gerwin

Reaction score
After another day of working in there I was finally able to get it fixed. Ended up being a very large air pocket that ended up shooting out of the faucet like a rocket. Made one hell of a mess, but I'm glad it's resolved. Thanks for taking the time read

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks