Hot Water in Master Bath Rusty after Well Pump Replacement All Other Faucets Clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Hlee

Reaction score
I have a Roman Tub in the Master Bath and following a well pump replacement the Hot Water is now rusty. I have drained the water heater and the water from it was clear; I have run the hot water until it was cold and then some for several times a day for several days and every time -- so long as the water is hot -- it is rusty; as the water heater draws down and the water temp turns cooler, the rustiness lessens. Once the water is cold, it is fairly clear but no bath is possible! My pipes are PVC. The Kitchen, just above the water heater has plenty of clear hot water. What's going on?

Reach4

Reaction score
Odd symptoms.

After you run the rusty water, does a substantial amount settle out as rust-colored powder? You are not seeing yellow water, but redish-brown (rust colored) water.

Is it possible there is a different WH that services the Roman tub?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tubs often end up using nipples to make some of the connections in the water supply. If they are galvanized, the source of your rusty water is almost certainly from one of those. The next most likely point is if they used a steel drop-ear elbow verses a brass one. You really want the entire supply line to be either copper, brass, or stainless steel (well, depending on where exactly it is, you MIGHT be okay with a plastic pipe like pex or cpvc, but there are some distinct restrictions on where that can be used). IOW, you do not want anything that can rust in the supply line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks