Hot Water Heater Flame Temperature

Users who are viewing this thread

silli586

Reaction score
Does anyone know how hot the flame should be inside the water heater? We have it coming out the faucets around 130 degrees. I was watching the flame pattern through the window at the bottom of the water heater. Accidentally put my finger to the window area and got burned instantly with a little welt.....is this normal for it to be that hot?

The water temperature seems about right for where we have the dial...I'm assuming....but not sure why that window would be that hot.

Reach4

Reaction score
The flame would be over 2000 F, but the temperature at the window would be much less.

Kebo147

Reaction score
It takes 1/2 a second to get a burn from 160 degrees F. You touched a combustion chamber!!! Yes you have found your calling to stop playing with what you don't understand and call a pro. That glass should be well in excess of 600 degrees.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is absolutely NO CORRELATION between the temperature of the water, the temperature of the flame, OR the temperature of the window. But at least now you know, "DO NOT TOUCH The window when the burner is on".

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
There is absolutely NO CORRELATION between the temperature of the water, the temperature of the flame, OR the temperature of the window. But at least now you know, "DO NOT TOUCH The window when the burner is on".

You realize HJ, if they are this dense ...
any advice you give them about plumbing might get them into deep trouble.

just saying.....:D:D:)

Treeman

Reaction score
You realize HJ, if they are this dense ...
any advice you give them about plumbing might get them into deep trouble.

just saying.....:D:D:)

Not too long ago, a plumber asked me how to change a spark plug in a lawn mower. I chuckled to myself...."if they are that dense...."

The other day I asked my co worker how to interpret some statistical data because my knowledge of SAS was rusty and the new fad is to use "R", which I have no expertise of. He chuckled to himself....."if you are that dense......" . This same guy asks me for help changing caliper brake pads.

The skilled, licensed plumber I hired to complete my recent water softener install (after I did 80% of the work) was proud of his skills and detested the diy movement (especially hacks). I asked him if he took his vehicles to a professional garage for all of its needed work. He laughed and said "no way am I going to pay $90/hour labor for someone to install a ......shock, spark plug, pcv valve, etc.. He was a bit tight lipped when I pointed out the hypocrisy of his ways.

After these experiences, I decided to knock my know it all attitude (in one/several subject areas) down a few notches and accept that because I am an "expert" in some areas does not make me a better person than another that has expertise in other areas. Explaining things without being condescending will gain respect for both you and your profession. Just stuff I learned over the past 5 + decades, and I am certainly no angel by any means.

Rant....off. Not directed at you personally. But as a "jack of many trades, master of few", I wish the diyers and professional trades could meet at a better middle ground. Some services are akin to paying $20 for a tylenol at the hospital. I understand and respect the overhead costs, training, tools, etc.. I just want a better middle ground, paying fairly for the level of the work involved, if possible. Rant off.....again.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I dont work on cars,,, I know better than to throw my efforts into wasting a whole
day attempting to do something that someone else does every day.....in a well equipped garage.
I refuse change a muffler or fix a flat tire, it would cost me 5 times more to do it myself than have it done....

it is wise to accept your limitations instead of running against the wind
trying to prove to the world and yourself that you are a know -it -all

I will not to stick my finger in the fan belt or light socket anytime soon....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
People value their time and experience differently, so while I try to do many things myself, I try to learn what's required beforehand so I can decide that I either don't have the skill, or the tools, or the time, if it applies. Otherwise, the pride of fixing it myself can trump some things, especially if it will require a tool I think I'll use again. But, some people have no sense of what it takes to do anything, or enough sense. I have one neighbor that hires someone to change their lightbulbs, and that includes table lamps, let alone anything a bit more technical. It takes all types.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks