Hot Water Heater Expansion Tank Full

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since the WH will remain full of water, prob not necessary, but as a precaution, suggest shutting off power anyway.

Stephanie Dowling

Reaction score
Old expansion tank was a little challenging to remove; however, I was able to remove and install the new one. Hot water is up and running and everything appears to be working. I can't thank you enough for all your help & kindness!

Reach4

Reaction score
Question: Can I still use my hot water heater while the older expansion tank is draining of excessive water?
No. Drill more or bigger holes on the bottom side, where I drew the green arrows.

Maybe a higher hole on both sides of the recessed groove could admit air, and aid in draining. I think the recessed groove marks where the diaphragm attaches.

Attachments

• img_4.jpg
    img_4.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 128

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to install a support to hold the tank. From your picture, you can see when it failed, it bent. Worst case, the next time it fails, it could separate and flood things.

Stephanie Dowling

Reaction score
You need to install a support to hold the tank. From your picture, you can see when it failed, it bent. Worst case, the next time it fails, it could separate and flood things.
Thank you! That's the next project as the expansion tank is located underneath the basement stairs. Have to figure out a way to support it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks