Hot water heat circulating pump issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Fenton

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have an old house with a very modern (2008) combo on demand water heater and house heating water heater. I have two loops, an upstairs and a downstairs. Both run on the same 1/10hp circulating pumps. The one that runs the upstairs has worked flawlessly since installation, but I've had to replace the downstairs one twice now, and it looks like it's failed a third time.

What could be causing the pumps on one loop to burn out, while the other one hasn't had a glitch? It's not a big deal to swap out a pump, but if there's an underlying problem I'd like to fix it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On potable water, the pump must either be bronze or stainless steel...if it's a hydronic heating pump, it will have CI parts, and those will fail on a potable water system because of the constant influx of dissolved oxygen - they rust themselves to death. The bronze or SS pumps are generally a LOT more money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks