Hot Water handle hard to turn

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I have a 3 or 4yr old Kohler bathroom faucet. The hot water handle is hard to turn at times. It appears to happen once the hot water runs after a few minutes. Any thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It depends on WHICH Kohler faucet you have. Those with Valvet stems use a stem which transfers rotary motion into a linear direction, and they can become sticky when the lubrication is used up. Otherwise you probably have a bad stem and need to replace it since they are usually not repairable or servicable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That faucet has an added friction point, which is where your problem may be. The rotating handle and the stationary "cone" are a single unit, and if corrosion has occured where they meet, it will cause hard turning. Remove the handle/cone and and see if the tightness is in it. If so, soak it in something such as CLR or vinegar, and then spray a lubricant into the groove before putting it back on. If that does not eliminate the tightness, call 1-800-4KOHLER and have then send a new handle assembly. The stem is a ceramic seal version, so they seldom become tight, although a swollen "O" ring seal might do it, (your statement that it seems to happen after running the hot water implies this may be the case, howerver), in which case call Kohler and have them send you a new one. You will not know where the tightness is until you remove the handle so you can try the stem and handle separately.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I called Kohler and they sent me a new valve kit. I replaced it and all is well now. Thanks

miphelps

Reaction score
Advice to loosen my Kohler bath faucet

That faucet has an added friction point, which is where your problem may be. The rotating handle and the stationary "cone" are a single unit, and if corrosion has occured where they meet, it will cause hard turning. Remove the handle/cone and and see if the tightness is in it. If so, soak it in something such as CLR or vinegar, and then spray a lubricant into the groove before putting it back on. If that does not eliminate the tightness, call 1-800-4KOHLER and have then send a new handle assembly. The stem is a ceramic seal version, so they seldom become tight, although a swollen "O" ring seal might do it, (your statement that it seems to happen after running the hot water implies this may be the case, howerver), in which case call Kohler and have them send you a new one. You will not know where the tightness is until you remove the handle so you can try the stem and handle separately.

Hello HJ, I have a 6-7 year old Kohler faucet very similar to the design of the first person with the stiff hot water handle, just a little more ornate design. The hot water handle is stiff at all times. I'm embarrassed to ask, but how do I take the handle apart to inspect and lubricate it? I don't see any allen screws or other ways to loosen it. I tried to loose the cone by unscrewing it with a large round-clawed vise-grip wrapped in a cloth, because my shower faucet came apart that way. Actually, I first tried unscrewing one of the cones that wasn't tight, but neither would budge. Any more pressure on the cone and I'm sure it will leave marks. Looking at the faucet from the top, I tried unscrewing counter-clockwise. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

joeboo2002

Reaction score
I have a similar Kohler faucet handle question... anyone know how to remove this type of Kohler faucet handle? (see attached picture). The cold water handle is very hard to turn, so I want to access the valve for clean/lube, or replace. But I'll be darned if I can remove the handle to get at the valve. I've tried turning the collar under the handle with a strap wrench CW and CCW, and it won't budge.

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,204
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks