Hot water copper line corrosion at SS Flex connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Lou N

Reaction score
All,

A few months ago I installed a new electric hot water heater. Yesterday I noticed corrosion at the connection between the SS flex and the copper pipe on the outlet side.

I thought the SS flex was lined with plastic to prevent that; it appears the corrosion is between the brass and the copper. I don't like the look of the eroded copper at that joint, don't want a leak.

Should I use a dielectric union at that connection? I did use Teflon tape at the connections could that be the issue?

Thanks,
Lou

H2O Heater.jpg
H2O.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phog

Reaction score
That almost looks like the copper tube had flux on it when you slid on the brass compression coupling, and flux collected around the top of the compression nut. And has eaten into the brass over time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flex connector works as a dielectric union. That's not the issue. And copper to brass corrosion? I've never heard of that. You may be overthinking this.

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just wondering why you didn't just solder on a male adapter and use a flex connector with a female end. although a dielectric union couldn't hurt, Terry's probably right.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just wondering why you didn't just solder on a male adapter and use a flex connector with a female end. although a dielectric union couldn't hurt, Terry's probably right.

My guess is that the compression could be done with wrenches and without the bother of torch, flux, solder, fitting, rag to wipe down, water to spray on to prevent burning your fingers while wiping away excess flux. It's quicker. Not something someone with soldering stuff would have done.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is that the compression could be done with wrenches and without the bother of torch, flux, solder, fitting, rag to wipe down, water to spray on to prevent burning your fingers while wiping away excess flux. It's quicker. Not something someone with soldering stuff would have done.
No argument from me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Still better than a Sharkbite at the water heater though? I'm not a fan of the braided at the water heaters though. I prefer the corrugated for a flex line. I see that Master Plumber Mark no longer uses braided either. Not that I ever did. I replace them though.

Lou N

Reaction score
I can solder, I wasn't being lazy. Thanks for the replies...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you know how to solder, how hard could it be for you to cut the pipe and re-do with a male adapter as suggested above?
I bet you won't have any corrosion with that.

Lou N

Reaction score
If you know how to solder, how hard could it be for you to cut the pipe and re-do with a male adapter as suggested above?
I bet you won't have any corrosion with that.

Exactly what I plan to do. I had no idea that the compression fittings would be an issue or I would have done that in the first place. Still don't know why there would be any corrosion, but I'll fix it and move on. Thanks...

Reach4

Reaction score
Any sign of a slow water leak leak? Maybe another 1/4 turn on the compression fitting would stop a slow leak.

Maybe clean that area with an old toothbrush and some cleaner.

Lou N

Reaction score
Decided to replace the compression fitting, which was probably slowly leaking, with soldered connections. Problem solved...thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks