hot water circulating pump...keeps pips from freezing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsncrso

Reaction score
Quick question now that it's super cold. Will an instant hot water circulating pump keep my pipes from freezing up? My house is on pilings and no enclosed underneath so anytime the temps drop below 30, the pipes freeze up. My main water line going into the house has insulation and heat tape so it's fine, but the branch lines to the bathroom and kitchen were unfortunately installed between the insulation and sheathing and freeze fairly easily. I would like to put a circulating pump under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink. Will this keep both the hot and cold pipes from freezing between the fixture and the water heater? (my water inlet is fortunate by the water heater)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably, as long as you don't put it on a timer. Most retrofit systems utilize the cold line as the return to the WH, so it tends to keep both lines at least somewhat warm. Depending on how the pipes are configured, you may not need two units if the water has to pass by things closer to the WH to get the furthest outlet warm. You will end up spending a bit more on power, but lots less than paying to repair the piping. Ideally, the pipes would be between the inside wall and the insulation so some room heat will get to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks