Hot water at cold side all faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

ben1111

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a home in Chicago that has hot water to all faucets on cold side. There are Grohe thermostatic valves at all showers (4). Only recent work was a new water heater 3 months ago. I am at a loss any help would be appriciated! Thanks in advance!

Ben

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Were they normal at some point? If just one of those faucets was failing there could be a potential cross connection. I have seen a couple of occassions where this has happened, but it has usually been with a cheap brand faucet.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or more likely eather the water heater was hook up wrong i have seen even professional

plumbers do this !

Or you could be missing the dip tube ?

If this problem started about same time as wtr/htr was changed out that is where you

need to start looking !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Reversing the connections to a water heater does NOT change the hot/cold orientation of the faucets. ALL it does is reduce the amount of hot water available. Changing hot to cold, and vice versa, requires a piping change somewhere.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have any kind of recirulating system? A failed check valve or improperly installed system could be a problem. If you have a retrofit recir, then warm to hot at the cold tap is a normal side effect. If you run a cold tap for a few minutes, does it turn cold, or stay hot?

ben1111

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There is not a recirc line, and the water heater was replaced 3 months ago and worked fine untill three days ago. I think that the check valves in one of the Grohe thermostatic mixing valve hav gone bad allowing the water to pass? They are all about 4 years old. I have read that the washing machine selonoid gould also be bad. I will look further into this, and hape to find a resolution to it.

The water will eventually get "cold", but stays warm for a while!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks