Hot tub wiring with 6/3

Users who are viewing this thread

Shonn

Reaction score
I will be getting a new spa with 4 wire connection. I have existing 6/3 wiring to the location. 6/3 goes from service panel 50am to far end of house 50amp gfci breaker box for spa then through conduit to spa. Question 1 is I'm assuming I can use the bare ground as ground plus it's smaller than the other wires or doesit need to be insulated? That said, someone had said 6/3 is fine indoors. Can I then use the 6/3 w bare ground to the spa 50a gfci breaker box mounted other end of house then run 4 wires with one being green insulated to spa essentially connecting the smaller bare ground and green insulated ground together at the gfci box? Trying to avoid pulling a new wire or wires from service panel to GFCI spa panel which is about 100'.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The ground wire can be non insulated but it cannot be a separate run. If the existing 6/3 is inside a conduit with individual wires, then you can run a ground wire.
Check the installation requirements. Electric dryers were three wire at one time and for the last 30 odd years they are four wire. However, since millions of homes are not four wire, three wire is allowed. Not sure if a this can apply to a spa.
Not sure by the comment that 6/3 is good for indoors? Someone maybe thinking that indoors water is not involved.

AlfredeNeuman

Reaction score
NM can be used within the structure, without a separate insulated grounding conductor.
Once it leaves the structure it has to have an insulated ground conductor.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
NM can be used within the structure, without a separate insulated grounding conductor.
Once it leaves the structure it has to have an insulated ground conductor.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that general requirement for pools and spas is from the 2014 NEC and earlier. Starting with the 2017 NEC, I believe the requirement for an insulated equipment grounding conductor applies only to wiring within a corrosive environment (e.g. a pool shed where you store chlorine). At least, that's what a quite search through the 2017 NEC Article 680 for the string "insulate" tells me.

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Hot tubs are great for relaxation or pain relief, but they hide some danger if used lightly. Violations of the rules for using hot tubs can cause hyperthermia, which, in turn, can lead to serious complications. So the question is here. Can I use the hot tub during pregnancy? Thank you.
The best therapy for pregnancy stress is soaking the feet in cool water with epsom salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks