Hot tub question

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
It's a "spa panel" as specified by the manufacturer. The County inspected and approved this along with the deck work (overhead) that I did at the same time.
One of the funniest things I hear on a daily basis is, “the inspector passed it so it must be right.†I wonder if the inspector that passed it can also walk on water. If he can’t then he is just like the rest of us and capable of making mistakes wouldn’t you think.
If the panel is specified by the tub manufacture then it will come with the tub. If is doesn’t come with the tub then it is part of the premises wiring and must conform to the requirements of the NEC.

The concrete pad doesn't have rebar in it so there's nothing to ground there.
I don’t see anything in 680.26 that says that if no rebar is present that the bonding grid can be left out. What I do see is that where no rebar exists then an Alternate Means shall be provided. This grid is not something that requires to be bonded it is something that is required to be installed to keep everything at the same potential electrically. This is why it is named, “The equipotential bonding gridâ€
680.26 Equipotential Bonding.
(A) Performance. The equipotential bonding required by this section shall be installed to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area.

Besides 680.26 applies to Part II permanently installed pools, and this is a "portable spa", which are covered under part IV (I guess). For this, grounding is 680.42 (B). Regardless, all metal parts of the spa (there are none) plus the motors and all that are grounded back to the spa panel and to the main panel and to the new grounding rod installed at the edge of the concrete slab. Maybe the new ground rod is overkill but I'd rather not be killed at all.
This is just what I am talking about in my post through this entire thread. What is said in 680.42 is:
680.42 Outdoor Installations.
A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
This means that a hot tub installed outside must conform to the requirements of PART II of 680 as well as Part IV.
With a quick read of 250.4 one can easily see that the ground rod is not worth a damn at a pool or a hot tub. It was nothing more than a waste of time and energy. It benefits nothing. It has the same value as dentures for chickens. It would be better used to tie out a cow with than to try and remove voltage at the pool.
This bonding grid that is required by 680.42s reference to Part II of 680 is not required to be bonded back to the service panel nor any part of the service panel.
680.26(B) Bonded Parts. The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(7) shall be bonded together using solid copper conductors, insulated covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or with rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal. Connections to bonded parts shall be made in accordance with 250.8. An 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.
I do hope that you understand that the rod will not protect you when you step out of the tub onto those tiles that you didn’t grout in around from being killed in the event that something goes to fault in the tub. The grid when installed properly will keep every thing at the same potential which would be just like the bird that perches on a high voltage line and then flies away. The bird is at the same potential as the high voltage line therefore no harm comes to the bird.

The only thing that I might have messed up on is that I used a rigid PVC conduit on top of the slab for about 4' between the wall of the house and the spa. I have it protected by portable wood "tiles" (for lack of a better term) that I have positioned at the front of the spa where folks get in an out. Although it has joints at both ends to risers so its not liquid tight I felt that this was better protection than a flex conduit.
As long as the PVC is schedule 80 there is nothing wrong with having it lying on top of anything. Lets hope that the equipment grounding conductor inside is insulated as the bromide or chlorine will take it away in a hurry.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I hear on a daily basis is, “the inspector passed it so it must be right.†I wonder if the inspector that passed it can also walk on water. If he can’t then he is just like the rest of us and capable of making mistakes wouldn’t you think.
If the panel is specified by the tub manufacture then it will come with the tub. If is doesn’t come with the tub then it is part of the premises wiring and must conform to the requirements of the NEC.

I don’t see anything in 680.26 that says that if no rebar is present that the bonding grid can be left out. What I do see is that where no rebar exists then an Alternate Means shall be provided. This grid is not something that requires to be bonded it is something that is required to be installed to keep everything at the same potential electrically. This is why it is named, “The equipotential bonding gridâ€

This is just what I am talking about in my post through this entire thread. What is said in 680.42 is:

This means that a hot tub installed outside must conform to the requirements of PART II of 680 as well as Part IV.
With a quick read of 250.4 one can easily see that the ground rod is not worth a damn at a pool or a hot tub. It was nothing more than a waste of time and energy. It benefits nothing. It has the same value as dentures for chickens. It would be better used to tie out a cow with than to try and remove voltage at the pool.
This bonding grid that is required by 680.42s reference to Part II of 680 is not required to be bonded back to the service panel nor any part of the service panel.
I do hope that you understand that the rod will not protect you when you step out of the tub onto those tiles that you didn’t grout in around from being killed in the event that something goes to fault in the tub. The grid when installed properly will keep every thing at the same potential which would be just like the bird that perches on a high voltage line and then flies away. The bird is at the same potential as the high voltage line therefore no harm comes to the bird.

As long as the PVC is schedule 80 there is nothing wrong with having it lying on top of anything. Lets hope that the equipment grounding conductor inside is insulated as the bromide or chlorine will take it away in a hurry.
Actually what I said is that the inspector passed it. To me that means he is a trained second pair of eyes, sometimes equipped with a measuring tape, nothing more.

The manufacturer specified a panel in accordance with the NEC. It also specified a flat, stable surface to install the unit. Neither were supplied with the unit.

Since I installed this in 2002 I went by that Code. 680.26 is simply titled “Bondingâ€, and requires all structural metal including rebar to be bonded, if it exists. There is no requirement for a grid. Again, it does not apply, since it is a portable spa, and 680.42 requires Part II provisions “except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B)…â€, where (B) describes bonding. These requirements are even simpler, and do not include grounding wood tiles (again, for lack of a better term) or the wood steps to get in and out (which were provided by the manufacturer).

JWelectric

Reaction score
Actually what I said is that the inspector passed it. To me that means he is a trained second pair of eyes, sometimes equipped with a measuring tape, nothing more.
But sometimes he has limited training and little or no knowledge of electrical systems. How can I say this? I have been teaching electrical inspectors for the past eight years.

The manufacturer specified a panel in accordance with the NEC. It also specified a flat, stable surface to install the unit. Neither were supplied with the unit.
Which of both must conform to the sections mention above that just found in a different place in the 2002 code cycle

Since I installed this in 2002 I went by that Code. 680.26 is simply titled “Bondingâ€, and requires all structural metal including rebar to be bonded, if it exists. There is no requirement for a grid. Again, it does not apply, since it is a portable spa, and 680.42 requires Part II provisions “except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B)…â€, where (B) describes bonding. These requirements are even simpler, and do not include grounding wood tiles (again, for lack of a better term) or the wood steps to get in and out (which were provided by the manufacturer).

Even as far back as the 2002 code cycle a hot tub installed outside was to conform to the rules found in Part II of 680 This is found in 680.40. The bonding requirements found in 680.42(B) simply states that the metal parts found on the wooden supports for the skirting of the tub is not required to be bonded,
The verbiage found in .40 that a tub installed outside is to adhere to the rules in Part II deals mainly with the equipotential bonding grid. In the 2002 code cycle in 680.26(B)(1) the requirement to install a copper conductor where there is no rebar or the rebar is encapsulated in a nonconductive compound.

In the 1999 code cycle this requirement was found in 680-22(b)(3). This rule to install a bonding grid is not something that is new and had been around for quite sometime. It is those who never saw any use in having this grid that seems look past the fact one is not installed around tubs installed outside.

Not meaning to sound rude or anything like that, just speaking code but by your own admission you tub is not in compliance with the NEC today nor was it at the time of installation.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I don't think that you're being rude. You do, however, have me confused. 2002 NEC 680.40 requires conformance with Parts I and IV. It doesn't say Part II is required. The bonding requirement in (B) states that "metal to metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted", which is what I have.

And in Part II, 680.26(C) requires a Common Bonding Grid, where (3) allows a copper conductor. I don't find anywhere where the grid is specified to be under the tub on a unreinforced slab. I do have a ground buried in a control joint right in front of the tub where people walk to get in and out. This is bonded to the tub components, panel ground, and then to a ground rod. When I put it in I thought it was overkill but I did it anyway.

With regard to non-compliance, If I need to change out a short length of conduit that runs on the floor to a piece of liquidtight then I can. But that is a mere technicality as it pertains to corrosion protection that is probably not necessary in this location, since the floor is rarely wet.

Also if I need to cut in a perimeter ground wire then I can do that also.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Well I guess I made a typo in the code section so to help me get it right I will just post the code pages and sections that mandate a bonding grid right out of the 2002 code cycle.

Please overlook my markings as this is how I remember what to point out when teaching an electrical inspector’s class. See page eight for more information concerning these classes.

First let’s look at the page where the installation of hot tubs is found in the 2002 cycle,

hot-tub-wiring-1.jpg

Look closely at section 680.42 for outdoor installations

hot-tub-wiring-4.jpg

Here is where we are told that a hot tub installed outside must conform to Part II of 680.

The Common Bonding Grid is found in 680.26 in the 2002 cycle

hot-tub-wiring-2.jpg

In 680.26(C) the parts that are to be bonded together is outlined,

hot-tub-wiring-3.jpg

In the first sentence it states that those parts specified in 680.26(B) shall be connected to the common bonding grid.

680.26(B) in the last sentence of 680.26(B1) it gives us the alternate method in there is no rebar or if the rebar is encapsulated with an nonconductive coating. This alternate method is outlined in 680.26(C)(3).

hot-tub-wiring-5.jpg

Be sure to click on the blue links to see the code sections mentioned in this post.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:

JWelectric

Reaction score
OK so Part II is required. I'm fairly certain that I complied with it.

Not hardly

I do have a ground buried in a control joint right in front of the tub where people walk to get in and out.

This grid is to be part of the pad not stuck in an expansion joint

Been involved in the process more years than most are old :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks