Hot On Left And Cold On Right.....code Or "habit"?

Users who are viewing this thread

French_guy

Reaction score
Quick question: I DO know that supply lines for fixtures such as faucets are plumbed with hot on the left side and cold on the right side

My question is to know if this is an official code to be respected, or if this more of a “habit”…..

For example, if using PEX which is color coded (blue and red), what would be the implication to have – let’s say under a sink – the blue pipe on the left and the red pipe on the right? Braided lines would just be crossed……then what?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
1997 UPC, Art. 416.0: "Faucets and diverters shall be installed so that the flow of hot water from the fittings corresponds
to the left hand side of the fitting."

I've heard that the convention is exactly opposite in some other countries. Must make
international travel all the more interesting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The French faucets I have seen ARE reversed with the hot on the right. The color of PEX is immaterial. It is just red and blue so the people installing it do not have to think about, or even know, what they are doing. The supervisor just tells them blue on the right, red on the left, and pick up your $25.00 paycheck when you get done.

dosby

DIY plumber
Reaction score
Why Hot Water is Always on the Left Side of a Faucet
Back in the 19th century, when indoor plumbing was introduced, water was brought into the home by hand pump. At the time, there was only one option that came out of the hand pump: cold water. Since most people were — and still are — right-handed, the pump was placed on the right side of the sink.
Instant hot water was introduced many years later. With the cold water pump already occupying the right side of the sink or tub, the logical place to put the hot water faucet was on the left side of the cold water faucet.

Why Toilet Flush Handles are Always (or Usually) on the Left
Early indoor toilets had pull chains connected to overhead water tanks. Again, since most people were right handed, the pull chain hung down on the right side… the right side from the perspective of someone sitting “on the throne”. As flush handles evolved into the levers we know them as today, they just happened to stay on that side; the left side from the perspective of someone looking at the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks