Hot and Neutral Connected Together

Users who are viewing this thread

diverdave

Reaction score
So I am working on a remodel and I disconnected a light fixture and I found three cables into a junction box where a neutral was connected to two of the hot wires. The hot and neutral pigtails you see in the picture were being used to power the light. Why wouldn't all of the hot and neutral wires be connected together with pigtails to power the light? I don't understand why this isn't a direct short. Assuming this wiring is incorrect do I fix it by connecting hot to hot, neutral to neutral?

20180203_203812.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, probably the switch loop. Current code is to reidentify the white conductor. Usually wrap with a piece of black electrical tape.

Rossn

Reaction score
Diver Dave,

What they're saying is that the hot comes in over the black leads you see (one of them), flows to the switch over the white wire that should have been tagged as hot with electrical tape, then returns to the electrical fixture on the black lead. When the switch is on, the electricity flows down the white wire, through the switch, and then to the light fixture over the black wire. You can confirm with a volt meter that the white wire is always hot, and that the black wire only is hot when the switch is flipped. You can also pull the switch and see it there.

diverdave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I understand now. I got to thinking about it and it makes sense if that line goes to the switch as you guys have pointed out.

Stuff

Reaction score
Usually the BLACK wire goes to the switch and the WHITE wire carries the current back to the fixture, but it works either way.
That may be usual in your area but is opposite the NEC requirements.
If used for single-pole, 3-way or 4-way switch loops, the reidentified conductor with white or gray insulation or three continuous white or gray stripes shall be used only for the supply to the switch, but not as a return conductor from the switch to the outlet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you identify the switched lead with red marker or tape, it's clearer for everyone involved!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks