Hot and Cold water not working after WH install

Users who are viewing this thread

BigHen

Reaction score
A Rheem basic electric water heater with one element replaced with a AO Smith of the same specs. Hot water liine in and a cold water line out, each line has its own 1/4 turn shut off valve installed. Once I had it plumbed up I turn the water on at the street and eased the valve on to the water heater. Also opened the valve on the hot water side. I could hear the tank filling up and it did blow the air out of the line when i opened the kitchen sink to run it. But it stopped suddenly and no water would come from the hot or cold sides anywhere in the house. The outside hose bib does have full pressure. Im stumped, thought it was a vapor lock but I cut the lines to the hot water heater and opened both valves but no water came from either line.

Any ideas?

MKS

Reaction score
I shut the hot OUT off to chase kids out.
You may want to upload pictures of the installation. Including all valves.
Debris from the pipes can clog plumbing things .

Reach4

Reaction score
Im stumped, thought it was a vapor lock
No such thing in pressure plumbing.

So you know there is a blockage after the tee of to the hose bib and before the next tee.

Do you have a whole-house filter of some sort? Softener?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It should be cold water "in" and hot water "out"
Sometimes there are ball checks in the nipples at the top of the tanks that prevent water from passing the wrong direction.
The breakers shouldn't be turned back on until the tank is full with no air, or the elements will burn out.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
It should be cold water "in" and hot water "out"
Sometimes there are ball checks in the nipples at the top of the tanks that prevent water from passing the wrong direction.
The breakers shouldn't be turned back on until the tank is full with no air, or the elements will burn out.

I have been stumped before on a water heater like this ... it depends on the brand of heater you have....

Some brands have a dip tube on the cold side that has a PLUG in the bottom of the tube.... if the PLUG comes out it will float up to the top of the heater and somehow find its way into the bottom of the hot nipple and stop the flow....

I had this happen on a 75 gallon Rheem gas heater we installed in a
restaurant basement and about 20 minutes after it was installed the hot water just stopped flowing.... so they were all going nuts...

I came back to the job and was lucky enough to have flex lines on the heater and I took the hot nipple out of the heater and there it was stuck in the bottom of the nipple....... I got lucky..

Last edited:

Phog

Reaction score
Is there any old galvanized steel pipe in the system? That can produce debris that can break loose and lodge downstream. Also, the shutoff valves you operated to do this work, what type of valve are they? (Ie. gate valve, ball valve, etc).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turn off the cold water supply and remove the nipple on the hot side.
Is the nipple plugged? What kind of nipple is it - galvanized, brass, dielectric?

See if there is any blockage in the hot side threaded opening, then clean it.

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem affects the kitchen sink cold and the toilet fill and everything in the house. So I am pretty sure the problem is not at the water heater.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach4,
I read the OP again, you're right about that.
No way to know what causes that with the limited information given.
Need to see the pipe set up as it enters the house and the supply for the hose bibb, since it has cold water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any time you shut the water off then back on again, it can disrupt a bunch of crud from the insides of the pipes. That can clog the aerators of various faucets, and mess with sealing in valves, but it's unlikely that it would disrupt the flow of water everywhere. WIthout more information, I think it's one of those things where you'd have to be there to evaluate it. If you have galvanized piping, that surge of water when you turned things back on could release a bunch of rust particles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks