Hose bibs - what needs to be done to protect potable water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnoone

Reaction score
I have 4 hose bibs on my house. I think 2 of them are connected before my pressure regulator. The other two are after pressure regulator. There are no backflow prevention devices in my house. House was built in 1959 in California.

What is standard? Pre or post pressure regulator? Does it matter?

And do I need a backflow prevention device? If so do I want one/bib or one for my entire house?

Thank you

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they are original to the home from 1959, you probably don't have any type of backflow preventer.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is an example of a built in backflow preventer

upload_2020-2-20_0-3-11.png

leelee77

Reaction score
This is just my opinion but I have had those screw-on anti-siphon adapters corrode and go bad and need replacement, so I remove the set screw now when I put them on. Otherwise it's a real pain in the neck to get them back off again and replace them.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but I have had those screw-on anti-siphon adapters corrode and go bad and need replacement, so I remove the set screw now when I put them on. Otherwise it's a real pain in the neck to get them back off again and replace them.

The set screw is designed to snap off for a couple reasons. If its your personal hose bib I suggest removing the set screw also.

Julie Fox

Varefox
Reaction score
Hi Smooky. You posted previously about the Woodford M25 spraying water when you turn the bib off with pressure in the hose. I have those on my house and I am SO over them! Is there a way to stop the spray, other than replacing all of them? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi Smooky. You posted previously about the Woodford M25 spraying water when you turn the bib off with pressure in the hose. I have those on my house and I am SO over them! Is there a way to stop the spray, other than replacing all of them? Thanks
Take a look at https://buyeagle.biz/products/rk-25

Note that https://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-25.html links to that site.

I have no knowledge on that other than what the page says, but it does seem to address your problem.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

To prevent the spray after closing the bib is keep the hose nozzle open while closing the valve. Normally the hose pressure is higher than the other side of the diaphragm, therefore it opens. This minimizes the spray or completely eliminates it.

If you have where the snap off screw is broken, I find a good size set of channel locks works the best. Vice grips will distort the brass vacuum breaker making it harder to unthread it. One time the vacuum breaker was frozen onto the spigot. Must have been some kind of electrolysis going on because the hose connector was some kind of pot metal, not brass. I had to use a dremel tool to split the vacuum breaker down its side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vacuum breaker opens when the outlet pressure is higher than the inlet to mitigate the possibility that any water will be pushed back into the supply side. On an outside hose sitting in the sun, the heat gained in the hose will lead to the water expanding. If there's no other place for that to escape, the outside pressure will then exceed the inlet temperature. The fact that it is opening just means that the vacuum breaker is high quality and not leaking water back into the house like it's supposed to! A cheaper design may or may not do the same thing if it leaks.

As stated, if you have a nozzle on the hose, leave it open or open it after closing the valve so the pressure can be relieved. Some of the effect will vary based on how long the hose is, how much is in the sun, and how easily it balloons to absorb some of the expansion. It's possible that could happen in typical on/off use when you have a nozzle that doesn't leak. It does take a little time to get that heat transfer and thus the pressure gain, so you may not notice it all of the time.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have 4 hose bibs on my house. I think 2 of them are connected before my pressure regulator. The other two are after pressure regulator. There are no backflow prevention devices in my house. House was built in 1959 in California.

What is standard? Pre or post pressure regulator? Does it matter?

And do I need a backflow prevention device? If so do I want one/bib or one for my entire house?

Thank you

Yes you need one on all 4 hosebibs . If you have 100 plus psi and leave hose under pressure on hot days it could blow up . What is standard is after main water reaches house to have all hosebibs reduced. If you have irrigation lines they typicaly are un regulated or have thier own regulater hose bibs on that irrigation system would be either regulated or not . As others said many dont like the backflow devices and remove them. I dont remove them from customers houses , unless they complain of them , Feel like I need to at least explain what they are for and dont want to have to educate them on breaking plumbing code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks