Hose bibb/faucet valve knob stuck open

Users who are viewing this thread

WS

Reaction score
I have a hose bibb/faucet valve that is stuck open. I also have a 2 outlet adapter attached to it with it's own valve, so I can turn water on and off. Can anyone give me an idea as to why I can't turn the valve to off, and how to fix it? It's getting cold here in Oregon this week, and I thought I'd better get it fixed before freezing might make things worse.

WS

Reaction score
Are you sure it has not already frozen? There are only a few things that can keep a faucet from closing, and ice is one of them.
No, it's not frozen. I've used it repeatedly, including yesterday. It's been stuck for about 2 months, and I've just put off fixing it since I can use the adapter valve to turn it on and off. Now that is expected to get cold this week, I figured I should stop procrastinating.

WS

Reaction score
Are you sure it has not already frozen? There are only a few things that can keep a faucet from closing, and ice is one of them.
What are the other "few things"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Corrosion around the stem, but as I said, it usually affects a closed faucet, not an open one. Although if the faucet was "jammed" open, the corrosion build up can make it hard to close.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks