Hose bib/silcock question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Deb.Lu

Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to identify this part. I apologize in advance for my poor terminology. I am here to learn, and hopefully I will improve. I was able to unscrew it from the outside portion, so I have included photos of both.
There is a significant leak that extends back under the siding when a hose is attached. The gentlemen who helps me with my sprinklers tried to fix it with some new washers and it did not leak with the hose off, but began again when the hose is connected. I'm hoping I may be able to just replace the removable part rather than cut the copper pipe in the basement, as there are some accessibility issues.
Thank you for any help or advice.

IMG_5835.jpg
IMG_5836.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does it leak if you turn the handle to the OFF position but does leak with a Hose attached in the ON position? That is a classic sign that a hose was left on during a cold/freeze snap and the tube between the seal/shut off and the outlet has burst. If that is the case, then the entire frost free hose spigot needs to be replaced.

Also, the angle of a frost free hose spigot needs to be pitched forward(to the exterior) so that it can drain the water out of the body in order to function properly. So if you do replace it, make sure to install it in that manner.

Here is a LINK to what the interior of a hose bibb looks like for reference

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might need some shims to install frost-free hose bibs you put under the flange to account for a shingle that is not vertical so you can get the proper pitch for the valve without a gap behind it. Most all of the valves are designed for a vertical wall.

There are also a few models out there that have a separate exterior drain so that it can expel the water even if you leave a hose on. https://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-30.html And, some others have a special spring-loaded valve in them to allow the water to expand when freezing without damaging the valve, but it's best to evacuate the water before it freezes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks