Hose bib shut off valve failures

Users who are viewing this thread

armenhamer

Reaction score
Hello all,

Our plumbing company has replaced two of these shut off/drain valves over the course of a year and a half. the first valve replaced the house original hose bib shut off valve that did not function. It was replaced in August of 2016 and that new part went bad in January. The replacement to that just went bad the day after Christmas, so that one lasted almost a year. In both cases where I've highlighted in the picture the valves developed leaks in the same spot. The green sealant could be seen squeezing out of the circled location with a steady drip. The plumbers both times seemed surprised by the part failure. I asked if there was anything that could be done differently or what could be the cause and the plumber just seemed stumped. The picture here is the 3rd replacement. I will note the back of the house has the same valve installed and it hasn't leaked so far. Any thoughts on what the cause could be? Or solutions should it do it again?

The location is the front of the house in the basement, just a couple feet up from the main shut off.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 277

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm almost positive that the shut off valve in the picture has a factory flaw. Ask the plumber to replace it with a different brand.

A few years ago I started using Bugati valves made in Italy and I find them to be much better than the Chinese made valves. If you can find USA made valves, use them.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You're in Michigan and right now it's well below freezing and it's probably freezing water is causing damage. I'm sure you do this procedure every year before it freezes but I'll go throught it so others may learn. The picture shows the valve to be closed but did you drain the valve? Your failure occurred in January and a freezing Christmas morning. Is this by chance on the north side of the home?

If you notice there is a small brass drain cap at the valve.
1) Disconnect the garden hose from the bib.
2) Shut off the water at this valve.
3) Open the bib and then remove the drain cap and allow the section of pipe to drain.

If you did go through this procedure then the valve is still freezing and the water/ice on the pressure side of the valve is causing the damage. A solution would be to have the ball valve further down on the horizontal side of the pipe and further from the bib. Heat tape will work but usually not the best solution. Only gold conducts heat better than copper and ball valves are the way to go since they should last a lifetime. To manufacture a ball valve that side is a compressed or threaded fitting in the valve body therefore making it a weak point.

upload_2017-12-31_11-36-30.png

Last edited:

armenhamer

Reaction score
It's actually on the West side, but right on the corner close to the North. This very cold weather is something I was wondering about and even asked the plumber who didn't think the cold was getting to it. Yes I do follow those steps and I have noticed I don't get much water out of the bib or the valve. After this replacement, the plumber did have the valve on and I was able to drain water out after closing it. Also I added some extra insulation around the bottom where I felt a slight draft, which I don't now.On the outside I added one of those foam hose bib covers from the hardware store. The cold hasn't let up since the day it happened and doesn't appear to for the next week. Would have liked to think the plumber could have thought of your suggestion to move it but perhaps didn't think there was a lot of room there. it is a tight area right at the corner of the basement.

Ironically the rest of the pipe is covered in wrap, which had to get removed when the old shut off was replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks