Hose bib question on replacing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason7613

Reaction score
hi all,

I have a leaky hosebib that is very old, and looks like it's threaded, but it looks like the previous owner painted it so it may be stuck on. I've tried holding the part that comes right out of the house and then turning the nut by the thread counter clockwise to no avail. Granted I'm not putting all of my strength into it in fear of messing up the copper pipe inside. Not sure if I'm being too paranoid but wanted to ask for assistance/suggestions before proceeding.

Here are two pics to show what I am dealing with.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 167

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks threaded to me. That paint isn't holding it, but it may be on very tight. It doesn't look like a frost free hosebib either.
You may need more force with the wrenches. It's good that you're backing the other male adapter.
Does that freeze in the Winter.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try using a lubricant, WD40 might work, let it soak for 10 mins, and try again, using large wrenches.

The wrench on the wall piece should be held firmly clockwise. The hose bib counterclockwise.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YOu probably just need a bigger wrench. As noted, make sure you hold the part next to the wall so it doesn't spin when you try to unscrew the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks