Horrific smell Pipe dope?

Users who are viewing this thread

dedee

Reaction score
hello,

There is a horrific chemical/toxic/noxious odor coming from what I first thought was the overflow drain of my bathroom sink. Then I smelled it any time I opened the vanity cabinet. Now permeating that bathroom.

I disassembled the drain the best I could and I do believe the smell is this white stuff (I think it’s “pipe dope”) on this thread and/or the rubber gasket on this drain mechanism. The white stuff is very hard and crumbly. Is it possible for either of these to create such a toxic odor? Pics attached. House was built 3 years ago and we’ve slowly found nearly everything to have been done either sub code or poor workmanship. Lots of latent defects. Does this look/sound suspicious too?

Please note, I do understand this AAV could be faulty but I’m not getting a sewage odor. It’s a knock out pungent chemical odor that makes my throat hurt and gives me an instant headache, and I’m getting it in both sinks but worst in this and I believe it’s the gasket or “dope”. I need to be rid of the odor. It’s sickening me.

If you all think this is what I’m smelling, Should I replace the drain mechanism? Any way to do that as a very limited Susie homeowner?

Attachments

• 65082BB2-604D-4C98-B14A-B7DA49D4F57A.jpeg
    65082BB2-604D-4C98-B14A-B7DA49D4F57A.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 4C032B0A-55D0-4990-B9B0-E35ABEE91F0E.jpeg
    4C032B0A-55D0-4990-B9B0-E35ABEE91F0E.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 5C96727E-E65F-474D-A89F-F892D4986F0C.jpeg
    5C96727E-E65F-474D-A89F-F892D4986F0C.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 316

dedee

Reaction score
Okay so what in the world is this white stuff on this threaded drain pipe that smells like a toxic chemical spill? This definitely don’t smell like money to me. Very funny.

If pipe dope doesn’t ever emit a noxious smell, could the rubber drain gasket be bad or something?

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Even my husband smells it so I’m not just a hysterical kooky old woman. Just meant to figure out what I’m smelling so I can eradicate it. Thanks all!

Last edited:

dedee

Reaction score
I did some further diss assembly. The gasket reeks but so does this putty on the drain.

1. Is that really the appropriate amount of putty to be used?

I’m going to buy a new gasket and some new putty, clean the white stuff off the drain pipe thread and try to put this back together.

2. Are you supposed to use pipe dope on the metal thread if it’s connecting to plastic? Should I just leave it off?

Thank you very much if anyone can help.

Attachments

• 7A1DFBAA-6441-4142-BF35-0035F91CB97D.jpeg
    7A1DFBAA-6441-4142-BF35-0035F91CB97D.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

MKS

Reaction score
Pipe dope on threads there is fine.
Plumbing putty between the bottom of the drain and sink.
This sounds like a chemistry problem.
Out of the ordinary things going down the drain maybe.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I had taken the drain that far apart, I would probably just replace it with a new one and some new fresh pipe dope. With that being said, I have been around a lot of drains, and never have I smelled anything noxious comping from the pipe dope or the gaskets.

Reach4

Reaction score
Please note, I do understand this AAV could be faulty but I’m not getting a sewage odor. It’s a knock out pungent chemical odor that makes my throat hurt and gives me an instant headache, and I’m getting it in both sinks but worst in this and I believe it’s the gasket or “dope”. I need to be rid of the odor. It’s sickening me.
I suspect somebody else had been using that sink a little before you noticed the smell.

dedee

Reaction score
Well, I only use vinegar and baking soda to clean. And a five year old used the sink to brush teeth and wash hands. The house is brand new and the sink gets used rarely.

I can’t imagine what else it could be other than the actual mechanism...

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I replace the drain mechanism? Any way to do that as a very limited Susie homeowner?
You have done the hard part already. Take those pieces to where you buy plumbing stuff, and see what they have to replace your stuff.

Clean the sink drain area with a scrubbing pad before putting the new stuff in.

Treeman

Reaction score
so I’m not just a hysterical kooky old woman.

You are a hysterical kooky old woman that is learning plumbing. Kudos to you! Follow Reach4's last advice. Clean everything up and replace all the stinky components with new. Maybe the metal and hard plastic parts are reusable?

dedee

Reaction score
You are a hysterical kooky old woman that is learning plumbing. Kudos to you! Follow Reach4's last advice. Clean everything up and replace all the stinky components with new. Maybe the metal and hard plastic parts are reusable?

dedee

Reaction score
Haha!! I guess you are right about that! Never too late to learn they say.

Okay headed over to the hardware store. After seeing the price on a new mechanism and a la cartes I smelled some brand new rubber gaskets and whoooooooooeeeeee. That’s the stench I’m smelling. I don’t know if I’m especially sensitive or what, but wow.

I’m going to clean up the existing parts and reinstall.

1. I bought a new black rubber gasket, any problems setting it outside to “out gas” for a bit?
That’s thing is toxic. The new one too. 2. Anyone agree or am I just buying the cheapo?

I didn’t see any other options for non stinking petroleum smelling gasket....hmmmm

Reach4

Reaction score
I don’t know if I’m especially sensitive or what, but wow.
That seems to be for sure true. That is a useful discovery. You need some new putty too. There are different ones.

Yes, you can air out the gasket. You could put the new one into the dishwasher over a basket feature that won't allow the washer to get out and fall. Maybe wire it or safety-pin it in place. Some are rubber, and that may be the smell you have an aversion to.

You could seek out a gasket made of different material. Buna-N (AKA nitrile, EPDM, neoprene , and silicone are used to make some washers. The inside diameter you want is 1.25 and the outside diameter is not critical. I am not sure what is available off the shelf, but a properly selected O-ring could do the job I think.

http://www.allsealsinc.com/Buna-N-NitrileGaskets.html is one company, but they may not do small orders. The left column shows some different types.

I have an idea. How about getting some PTFE valve packing. Instead of a washer, wrap many turns clockwise as high as you can, and then tighten the nut.

Last edited:

dedee

Reaction score
Haha yes to the nauseating Chinese rubber/plastic smell. You are right on the money. Thanks to all. I’m going to try to source a better gasket! Got some new putty. Airing out the room now and hoping for some magic!

This probably turned out to be a weird post, but thanks for sticking in there with me! Thanks to all!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks