Horizontal Wet Venting a Powder Room

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got a job where we are installing a powder room and have decided to horizontally wet vent the system. The code specifies that horizontal wet venting is limited to Bathroom Groups and defines Bathroom Groups as having a form of tub/shower or combination of bathing fixtures. Obviously a powder room is lacking that 1 key element, but shares in the same fixtures that would otherwise be found exclusively in a bathroom.

I've had arguments with inspectors over this type of installation and had it pass in other instances without any note from the inspector. And currently while I was walking through another of our projects noticed that we have a bathroom group that because of a steel beam, the toilet and sinks are on their own horizontal wet vented system while the tub and shower run separately and tie in downstream. The piping is exactly the same as a powder room, but because there happens to be a bathtub and shower in the room it meets the letter of the law.

I don't currently have a problem with an inspector, but I'm expecting it in this instance because of my recent run-in with one of our inspectors odd reading of the code.

Am I the Asshole for trying to bend the code to my needs? Or is the code wrong and should include powder rooms in the definition?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The code specifies that horizontal wet venting is limited to Bathroom Groups and defines Bathroom Groups as having a form of tub/shower or combination of bathing fixtures.
That's not my reading. From the 2018 Washington State Plumbing Code:

"Bathroom Group. Any combination of fixtures, not to exceed one water closet, two lavatories, either one bathtub or one combination bath/shower, and one shower, and may include a bidet and an emergency floor drain."

That says a bathroom group is any combination of fixtures, within these limits: 0 or 1 WCs; 0, 1, or 2 lavs ; 0 or 1 bathtubs ; 0 or 1 showers (whether or not the tub has a showerhead over it); 0 or 1 bidets; and 0 or 1 emergency floor drains.

Apparently no urinals allowed. But no tub or shower required, they are optional.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The worst thing a contractor can do is antagonize the inspectors.

I had a gas inspection this morning @ 8 AM and the inspector also a past contractor was asking me old school stuff such as replacing a corroded section of vertical CI XH bell and spigot.

He asked how many sections would you need and I answered him he smiled and "You paid your dues" and he told me there is one contractor that other inspectors make sure he never will pass the first inspection

If you explain the problem a good inspector will give you an opinion on how it would work

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
he smiled and "You paid your dues" and he told me there is one contractor that other inspectors make sure he never will pass the first inspection
This sort of behavior is a disgrace to the construction and inspection industries. Apparently a lot of people failed kindergarten.

Cheers, Wayne

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
This sort of behavior is a disgrace to the construction and inspection industries. Apparently a lot of people failed kindergarten.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne unfortunately a lot of master plumbers send hacks to the job site and the inspectors most of whom were plumbing contractors and cannot stand shoddy workmanship

NYC is revoking PE and AIA and plumbers and fire suppression licenses etc.

With a population around 8 million and close proximity of each building one gas explosion can wipe out several buildings

I have been in the plumbing profession since 1968 and I never had any job I was on receive a violation or failed any inspection

Perfection is not an accident .

All my employees have a gas certification card and OSHA training and weekly training about code updates

SEE Below why inspectors have a short fuse and rightly so

See the list below as these people like the other professions were given a choice give up your license or face a judge with possible jail time

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks