Horizontal Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian E Sasser

Reaction score
Can I tie in the 2 inch horizontal shower drain line to the adjacent 3 inch horizontal wet vent using a horizontal 1 1/4 inch line (marked in blue) to vent shower trap?

Here is a sketch
20170918_124133-1.jpg

Or

Is this even needed if I can control my trap arm pitch to the elbow?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As drawn, the shower isn't vented.
If you use a combo and pick up the shower off the lav line, then the shower is wet vented by the lav.
The 3" must be a vent above the lav, with no waste coming down from above. The trap arm for the lav is a santee.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All you have done is provide a "secondary drain" for the shower if it gets plugged up past the tee connection. It is not a vent. No combination Y-1/8 bend for the lavatory connection.

Brian E Sasser

Reaction score
Thank you for clarification on the Santee.:)

Yes. The three inch above lav is a dry vent to the roof, no waste.

I switched from tub to shower, that increased drain size from 1 1/2 to 2 inch. Since the joists (2x8) are in between the horizontal runs, I am forced to go parallel to them. Old 1 1/2 inch tub drain went through :( and tied into the 3 inch line wet vented by the lav.

I don't do a lot of horizonal vents.

Are both ends of the blue vent combos?

Brian E Sasser

Reaction score
All you have done is provide a "secondary drain" for the shower if it gets plugged up past the tee connection. It is not a vent. No combination Y-1/8 bend for the lavatory connection.

Wouldn't that be dictated by the direction of the combo in the 2 inch drain line?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks